Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ian8200

Looking For Advice Before Big Remodel

ian8200
11 years ago

Ok.. I have read numerous posts on here and like all the replies. I am getting dangerously close to commencing another remodel on our home to finish it out. I am looking for opinions/ideas on what to do with these areas. Any help is greatly appreciated.

As a brief background, we are going after the entry way, kithcen, family room, & dinning room. We are going to remove the wall which seperates the Kitchen/Dinning Room. Currently, these two rooms have a small finished floor elevation difference (6" roughly). This same issue presents itself in the family room (Green Carpet). Finally, the rest of the house finished floor elevation matches the kitchen/dinning room. In other words, only the family room and living room finished floors are at different elevations.

In the family room I am struggling with moving the television to another wall because of the multiple focal points which will be created. I am looking to all of you for your feeling on this. We are also going to subtantially reduce the fireplace wall. It's a little too much (roughly 19' Long and 6' High) I plan on surrounding it with some sort of natural stone and a mantel which can spread the whole wall but have cabinets on either side to tie it all together.

If the TV doesn't move to the the other wall, I was thinking of having the cabinet on the left of the fireplace be angled and designed to accomodate the TV. Again, I am concerned about two major focal points of the room that close to one another. Comments?

Fianlly the ceiling, with removal of the rock & paneling I am fearful the cedar ceiling with rough sawn beams will not match drywall with a level 4 finish like the rest of the house has. I was thinking just capping the cedar with 1/4" drywall and maybe the beams too. Then trying to accent the indside of each beam with crown moulding. Again, I am concerned with the amount of focus this will pull to the ceiling.

Ok well, I know this is alot but hopefully I get some good feedback from the community.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks for reading/helping.

Ian

Comments (18)

• ian8200
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another

• ian8200
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another

• ian8200
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another 04

• ian8200
    Original Author
    11 years ago

another 05

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

We need a floor plan to make it easier to visualize.

• ian8200
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Better.

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

Frankly, I wouldn't remove any of the walls that you are suggesting to remove. It would create an ill proportioned inadequately defined space that was too large with too low celings as well as providing huge headaches for HVAC and electrical relocation. In addition, the wall between the living and dining is probably structural and would need a pretty expensive beam to support the roof.

Also, a home needs a transition space when you come into it. You don't want to walk right into the kids mess or the dirty dishes being cleared from the dining table. You need a formal entry.

And a home also needs a quiet non TV room, which presumably is the role that the living room can provide you. Tearing down the wall between the living room and dining room would be fine if you were going to repurpose the family room as a master suite. But you are essentially proposing to create two family rooms. I don't know of any family that needs that.

And all that the family room really needs is to add in more stone so the whole end wall is stone, or to remove most of it so only the small area around the fireplace is stone. Then do a built in for the TV on the same wall instead of sitting it on the hearth. And of course, replace the green carpet. You might consider doing a passthrough from the kitchen with bar stools on the family room side, in order to connect the rooms better.

It's a very nice house. Don't tank it's value by doing a remuddle.

• User
    11 years ago

Put down that wrecking bar and step away from the wall! The answer to every house's problem isn't solved by tearing down walls. You are proposing basically destroying any charm that this house has.

The thing that would really help in the family room is different furniture and different furniture placement. The wall to the left of the fireplace needs a sofa there, and the one with the right hand chaise facing the fireplace needs to go. It's the wrong style, and the right hand chaise is the wrong choice here. A couple of nice built ins around the fireplace, and you're done. You don't need to worry about it being a step down. That's fine. And leave the ceiling alone! It's the best part about the room. The paneling isn't bad either.

• ian8200
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So due to these posts we have been talked out of removing that wall. Howabout the other one to open up the walkway into the kitchen. Right now, the entry is probably 36" wide. We think you are going to say not to but bascially looking for confirmation.

The furniture is temporary. We just got it to get us through this renovation. The idea about the sofa's is perfect.

For the ceiling, we are pretty set against anything other than 1/4" drywall and caping the beams with smooth wood. We feel like this room is a cabin when we are in it and it doesn't match the rest of the house or our style. It is nice and done well but just not our taste.

Our thought process on removing the wall was to break up the long lenth of it. It's so much when you are walking into the kitchen. However, with our latest kitchen design sinking the fridge, ovens, and a small pantry into it. We are hoping this will break it up a bit.

Any other idea's??? We are thinking of installing the same hardwood from the living room in the family room. Yes/No?

Thanks For The Help In Advance!

• User
    11 years ago

Post a layout of the original kitchen space, and the existing home's layout in the Kitchen Forum and you will get lots of idea. Taking out the wall between the kitchen and family room would be a better choice than any other wall.

And that ceiling in the family room is charming! Perhaps consider whitewashing it and taking the home more into a cottage style. It's the most memorable and best design element about the whole house and I'd personally leave it alone. Then look to it's style for additional style cues for the rest of the house.

• bridget helm
    11 years ago

Rather than tearing down that wall, consider making a giant cased opening, so that there's still division but a more open feel?? I like the wood beams and the wood ceiling. To make it feel less cabiny, could you sheetrock the wood wall paneling and leave the ceiling alone? That's what I would do. Sheetrocking the walls will make it feel less woody. Apply a nice wall color. Oh, but then you have the issue with the sheetrock not lining up with the ceilings, right??

Put built ins on both sides of the TV. You'll have to take down the hearth where you put the built-ins One purposed for the TV, the other for accessories and books. This will not be too many focal points. Many homes have their fireplace in the middle flanked by builtins on either side.

a corner built in would be fine as well, but then you have to continue the rocks to the ceiling. with the book ins on both sides, you'll remove the rocks from the wall.

Get rid of the green carpet, of course.

Yes to continuing the wood floors into the den. That is a MUST in my opinion.

here's an example of a giant cased opening separating formal dining from the den. it provides separation of the spaces, but doesn't close you in as a wall would.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r148/bmh4796/IMG_1435_zps2d1648a4.jpg

this is looking into the den from the dining room through the cased opening
    http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r148/bmh4796/IMG_1399_zps331becb8.jpg

here's a few houses with wood ceilings but sheetrocked walls. they look great! not cabiny at all. check them out
    http://agreatbigcanvas.blogspot.com/2010/10/wood-ceilings.html

http://ionfashion.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/1a4c6__natural+light+wood+ceiling+beams.jpg

this room really reminds me of your layout. interesting what they did with it
    http://www.oldvillagemasterpainters.com/images/Kill/K5.jpg

• bridget helm
    11 years ago

trying to figure out why my photobuckets aren't showing up as pictures, but links

i'm trying again with the cased openings
    [IMG]http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r148/bmh4796/IMG_1399_zps331becb8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r148/bmh4796/IMG_1435_zps2d1648a4.jpg[/IMG]

• weedyacres
    11 years ago

On the FR ceiling, I'd consider facing the beams with some poplar, and painting the beadboard. If it's all a creamy white, it won't feel nearly as cabin-y. Are you going to remove the wall paneling or drywall over it? I think I'd do the former. Consider posting the paneling on CL and offering it free if someone takes it down. You might find a cabin-lover that would recycle it (and do your demo work for you).

I wouldn't change the step down. Too many complications with HVAC ducts and exterior doors. Consider removing the stone face from the hearth and replace it with wood to match the built-ins you install.

• ian8200
    Original Author
    11 years ago

BMH4796 - I like the idea of casing out the portal's. However, my ceiling isn't that tall. It's just 8'. I am thinking now I can open it a bit more and like you said just case it out. I will do this into the living room as well. Since the two are right next to one another. It will look nice.

Thanks for the pics too. Seems people like the cedar ceilings. She's really concerned the color difference between the two woods will not look good. I am not 100% on this conclusion though. Have to do some more thinking and picture surfing.

Weedyacres - I am going to remove all the wallboard throughout this whole renovation. This way I can do the rough in easier, replace the insulation, take a look at the framing and see if there's any other hidden problems. Great idea with posting it on craigslist though. This may save some labor. I agree with your comment regarding the HVAC & Exterior Doors. Ultimately, with the education from yourself and other postings :) we have decided to stay away from raising the floor. I like this choice since it saves me money :).

Thanks Everyone. This is really helping us!

• bridget helm
    11 years ago

I'm glad you are taking down the wall paneling!!! That will make a HUGE difference.

the different wood tones of the ceiling don't bother me, but i understand how it may bother your wife. it's a personal thing. what if you painted the dark wood beams on the ceiling a white and made your built in entertainment cabinets the same white?? that would tie it all together. you'd have wood floors that match the wood paneled ceiling and white beams to match the white built-ins?? just a thought??

OR you could paint the beams and the wood ceiling all white. something like this:

http://media-cache-ec6.pinterest.com/upload/914862395303667_vO5BMRA3_c.jpg

or this
    http://media-cache-ec2.pinterest.com/upload/108508672242125683_frAEBVsS_c.jpg

i do like wood beams with sheetrock too, but leaving the wood ceiling panels would save you some work. whatever you decide on the ceiling panels, please don't remove or cover the beautiful beams. they are a true asset to the room!

i've been hearing people rave about this paint that doesn't require sanding prior to painting. it's called chalk paint. if you do pain your beams or the ceiling wood, i wonder if that would work.

• rockybird
    11 years ago

I would get rid of the paneling, gut the rock around the fireplace, replace the fireplace with a different version, get rid of the green carpet. I would keep the ceiling, or do something to paint it as suggested above. That family room has amazing potential!

• annzgw
    11 years ago

I would not cover the beams/ceiling in drywall but would paint or stain/white-wash them instead.
    The long mantel needs to go, carry the fireplace stone to the ceiling and then do some type of built-ins on each side of the fireplace.

You should be able to hide the lower vents within a bottom cabinet. Check out the link below for more design ideas for your FP area. There are hundreds of photos..........

Here is a link that might be useful: Fireplaces

• missyoka
    11 years ago

Only you know how you live and move in your home.

People who spend a lot of daytime hours in their home (at-home parents, retired folks, etc.) want lots of multidirectional, natural light in a room that's used during the daytime.

I would tear down walls to bring more light and traffic movement throughout the main area of your living space. I would remove the fireplace mantel entirely. I would paint the ceiling and paneling white, and would create a fireplace that would be the width of the standard opening but that would extend to the ceiling.

I would consider enlarging the second bath (people prefer smaller bedrooms and larger bathrooms, rather than the other way around).

Don't overlook the importance of insulation, support beams, and cold air returns.

When should you consider removing a wall? When you feel that you have to walk around it 5 times a day just to get to what you want (i.e. the wall is more an obstacle than a guide). Widen openings that aren't the width of two people.

Unseen areas tend to be unused areas. Dark areas tend to be unused areas.

For those concerned about seeing a kitchen's mess, simply add an island or bar with a raised ledge that hides the work counterspace but doesn't isolate the cook from the conversation.

If you want to retire in your home, you will want to raise the sunken floor so that the main floor will be wheelchair accessible. Falls are the number one reasons the elderly have to leave their homes.

Make the house suit your needs and wants, and don't be afraid to dream your own dream!