Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
analogmusicman

looking for LED downlight

analogmusicman
10 years ago

as part of our "kitchen remodel" we're going to retrofit the existing "cans" with nice modern LED lights. "Cree" has a nice one,the CR6. unfortunately,these "cans" which are over 30 years old,are only 6 in. deep and the CR^ won't fit. in fact,none of the "retrofit kits" I've looked at for 6" cans will fit. does anyone know of a kit comparable to the LR6 which will fit in a 6 in. deep can?

tnx in advance,

Comments (11)

• homebound
    10 years ago

maybe these?

Edit: actually, they might not fit after all. Did you look at the Halo retrofit? They are more rectangular instead of conical on top.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

This post was edited by homebound on Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 19:02

• analogmusicman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ok "homebound",HALO has a retrofit that fits "shallow" cans. (RL560) thanks for the "pointer"!

tnx,

• analogmusicman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ok,just checking: look at the pic. I think those "tabs" sticking out in the "can" are for the "torsion clips" on the retrofit led light. am I right? I guess whoever made the "can" was too cheap to install "ears" for those clips. :-)

• homebound
    10 years ago

No, won't work. Those spring clamps work differently (like many Broan/Nutone bathroom vent fan covers, for example). If you have remodel cans (looks like you do), how about replacing them?

• analogmusicman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

you mean those cans that are in my ceiling aren't "new construction" type cans? I'll have to look into that I assumed they were nailed in there when the house was built and before the sheetrock went up. but if they ARE remodel types then they shouldn't be too hard to replace. if they can be replaced,I can get the Cree retrofit kits I wanted in the first place.

tnx,

• analogmusicman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ok,it WAS some sort of "remodel" can. I pulled out the 4 screws and it dropped down. now,I have to get that durned metal ring out of there. it's what the can was attached to. it seems loose on all sides but one. any ideas short of ripping the wall out? :-)

tnx,

• homebound
    10 years ago

There are probably three points on the inner edge where it's bent against the top of the ceiling - unbend them to release. Take a pocket mirror and have a look first.

Your new cans will need to be insulation contact (IC) rated. I would suggest involving your electrician at this point.

• analogmusicman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

well,upon further investigation,to my dismay,I found that this is indeed a "new construction" assembly. that's why that metal ring wouldn't come out,it's part of the whole assembly which was nailed in 35 yrs. ago. I WAS able to remove the socket plate and gained an inch and a half in depth so my "Cree" retrofit just might fit. the nice thing about the :Cree" is that you don't have to use torsion clips to hold the retrofit in the can but you can buy some clips that hold the thing in the can that are for cans without "ears".

tnx,

• analogmusicman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm looking at some new remodel type "cans" I bought for the kitchen remodel and can see that they're not "airtight". considering that I don't want stuff like insulation from the attic getting into the cans and the a/c and heat escaping through the cans,I was thinking maybe I should take them back and get airtight ones. anyone think that's a good idea? BTW,there'll be :LED downlights in the cans so there wouldn't be a concern with too much heat buildup in the can.

tnx,

• Karenseb
    10 years ago

Instead of the retrofit kit we used the Cree flood lights in the can. We love them. Found the at Home Depot.

• Jasional Anita
    8 years ago

Hello,

Are you still looking for the cans lights for your kitchen ? We have the products for your reference: 1.http://www.jasional.com/productshow.asp?id=118&sid=58

2.http://www.jasional.com/productshow.asp?id=114&sid=54

Maybe you take the two items into consideration for your kitchen.

Regards