Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarschlos_remodeler

How do I get started?

I posted this on the kitchens forum, since that is generally where I've been hanging out these days, but they suggested I ask you wise folks over here in remodeling.

I need to figure out what type of professional I should be hiring: architect, structural engineer, interior designer, GC, many trades separately? Personal background: I do not know, or have the time to learn, how to draw in AutoCad. I have tried Google Sketch-up. I find it very difficult to use, and I really don't see how that will provide the types of measurements and elevations needed to give real direction to someone who is hired to actually perform the construction work. The extent of my computer-aided house drawing is from a bad Sims habit from about 9 years ago. Although I am well educated, I suck at math. I don't have a lot of extra $$$, so I need to do this once with the right person.

I would like to have a set plan for the entire house remodel project (we are not adding any square footage, just fixing the inside), even though we are not planning to do the entire house all at once for cost reasons. We will be starting with the kitchen, since all roads lead there and we will have much less worry about having to redo some things that were done in an earlier project if we start with the center of the house. I am assuming that I will need some type of drawings, but who would be the best bang for my buck to provide these?

Here is a general (VERY GENERAL; non-exclusive) description of what we generally would like to accomplish. We do not have existing architectural drawings of the house (can we get these from the recorder's office? Would that be helpful or just an added expense?).

1. Remove an interior wall dividing the DR and kitchen. I do not believe it is load bearing, but we couldn't get far enough into the attic crawl space to look for header beams.

2. Remove a dropped ceiling and vault the ceiling in the kitchen to match the dining room.

3. Add a double door-sized window between two doors (currently there are two sliders of different sizes -- I want to make one wall of windows, with two sets of double french doors and matching divided light stationary windows in between where there is currently wall -- can't do one centered doorway since that would require moving crawl space drainage, and redoing the exterior stairs and patio).

3. Build a drywalled corner pantry

4. Relocate and add plumbing in the kitchen

5. Remove old water heater and install two tankless water heaters (requires us to fur out an exterior wall to recess the water heaters into the wall, and requires control panels in 5 locations -- 3 baths, kitchen, laundry).

6. Coffer ceilings in master bedroom and family room to add feeling of height (currently 8-foot ceilings)

7. Replace electrical/install new 200 amp circuit, add receptacles and ceiling lighting

8. Relocate one duct

9. Add exhaust vents and lighting in bathrooms and laundry

10. Remove paneled walls in family room and replace with drywall (insulate walls while we're at it)

11. Eliminate exterior side door in hall bathroom, add small bathroom window and relocate plumbing (to replace small 3X3 shower stall with a tub/shower).

12. Replace all windows, doors, casings, and moldings (interior and exterior).

13. Eliminate wet bar in family room

14. Gut and replace all built-in cabinetry (kitchen, bathrooms, family room)

15. Reconfigure closet wall in master bedroom to include a drywalled center niche area and two separate closets

16. Change interior pocket doors to hinged doors.

17. Redesign hideous monstrous mirrored fireplace into lovely small brick fireplace with equally lovely wood or painted mantel/surround.

18. Insulate attic

19. Insulate floors and replace subfloor; new hardwood floors

20. New stairs and railings

21. Add a patio cover

22. Improve front porch/entry area

I'm sure there are other things that are more detailed, but this gives a flavor of what we need to accomplish. So, who do I need? Do I need an architect? a structural engineer? I assume that I will need an electrical/lighting plan, but does the electrician do that, or is that part of the architect's work? Where do I start?

Comments (5)

• mightyanvil
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It depends entirely on the quality of the design and problem solving that you wish to achieve. If you have high standards and ambitions, an architect will be well worth the cost. An architect would hire the structural engineer (if needed) and design the lighting. Of course, you need to find a good architect so check all references.

If you aren't worried about the details and aren't looking for a particularly imaginative solution, or you have a tight budget, a designer/draftsman or possibly a general contractor will get the job done.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

By designer/draftsman, do you mean an interior designer? Is removing a wall/enlarging a window the type of thing that would normally require an architectural drawing for permit purposes? (We're in So.Cal. if that helps)

• sierraeast
    16 years ago

In my opinion an architects greatest service is in remodeling when wanting the project to be an integral part of the house and looking original to that house. In other words, as if it was built that way originally mainly because of the in depth knowledge of all the elements involved structurally as well as cosmetically matching materials, etc. Something that a designer might not be able to pull off, but possibly a general contractor specializing in remodeling could.

• afr66
    16 years ago

Well, I have a somewhat differing perspective. To me, a lot of what I see on your list doesn't warrant an architect (i.e. window replacement, wiring, insulating attic, removing paneling etc). To me, an architect is most useful if you are planning an addition, reconfiguring a lot of the existing footprint of the house etc. A top-notch kitchen designer should be able to give you a layout & design you like for that (architects are not always good at kitchen design). In the past we hired an architect to help us with our grand plans to remodel our kitchen and put a 2 story addition on our house -- when the market tanked we put the addition on hold and focused on the kitchen renovation. Of course we had already spent $20,000 on the architect. His work was excellent (I would recommend him in the right situation) so I am not here to bash architects (and it is certainly not his fault that the market went down the drain and our plans changed). My point is that architects are expensive (the good ones, that is) and you need to think hard about whether you really need that level of expertise for what you are doing.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

SR I have been doing pretty much what you're doing. So here's my process...

I put together a scope of the work (done by room as a word document). I then used a quicky home design program (BH&G Home Designer 7.0 I think) to do some rough drawings based on pretty accurate measurements I took on the house. I showed what walls would be moved, where they would go, blah blah.

I personally designed my kitchen and bathrooms (lots of moved electric and plumbing) but if your spaces for these rooms are defined (either as they are now or as they will be using a drawing program) you can have a KD or cabinet salesperson KD (who is likely to be free or cheap) work on those designs.

Using my drawings, I then started talking to GC's. I did have some major structural work being done, so we hired a structural engineer on the side for the calculations on that (just a few hundred bucks and a bottle of wine) but a good GC will have one that they work with as well. Then the GC had a structural engineer draw up the final plans from mine to be submitted to the muni for approval. My cost for him was under $1000. (He did measurements, etc).

I initially started with using an excel spreadsheet to do my drawings and those were enough for the final drawings, but I got so into it I purchased the higher end design program to play with. I just this week purchased a higher end program than that (Chief Architecht) which will do all of the calculations as well :)

I don't think you need to spend the money on an Architecht as long as you use a good GC who has the connections for the permit drawings. You're not doing anything more, and infact it's less given the major structural work that was done on mine. The plumbing and electric can all be permitted by the contractors in those areas. You're going to want to show where what goes...but your KD can do that as part of their work flow. (Ie lighting plans etc).