Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ceiling/wall joint expansion and contraction

Posted by desert_solitaire (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 14:45

I'm not sure if I am on the right forum ...but hopefully someone can respond with an answer or redirect...

I have a condo in the midwest that every winter the ceiling crown moulding 'separates' from the wall and there is a gap that is revealed...it can be as much 3/8 inch in places...

we had a structural engineer come out and look at the footing and according to him, it is solid...

so assuming that is true, the gap is created by the normal freeze thaw 'heaving' that occurs seasonally...

I would like to find a permanent 'fix' for this...we have caulked between the crown moulding and ceiling and it simply pulls away...

it 'closes' back up in spring, but like clockwork, come december, the gaps reappear....

does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

doing anything with the structure doesn't seem viable since it is a condo and the engineer has said the foundation is 'solid' (meaning no mud jacking)

TYIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ceiling/wall joint expansion and contraction

Sounds like expansion and contraction of the wood during heating & cooling seasons.

Wood changes size (and shape) depending on the humidity it is exposed to.

It shrinks as the water content declines, then expands as it increases.

You might get a simple hygrometer and see how wet and dry your house is throughout the year.

o

Add a humidifier right now during this winter's season and see how much it helps. After you see that, then you might want to install a whole house humidifier on your HVAC. And use your AC in the summer. If you are in a location where you need little AC, then look at doing a dehumidifier in summer for those temperate but muggy conditions.

o

Hi, I live in Ca. I had a problem with the moulding on the kitchen cabinets. The moulding was nailed to the cabinets and showed a gap at the ceiling. I found on the internet that truss cielings and roofs expand at different rates than stud walls. My cure for the ceiling gap was to replace the moulding and secure the new moulding to the cieling and let it float on the cabinet. The problem was solved. It may Work for you.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

o

That sounds like truss heave. Where the trusses move seasonally or because of differences in humidity.

The idea of fastening the crown to the ceiling trusses and letting it float on the walls is the easiest fix. The only gotcha is on the two walls that are parallel to the trusses. You may have to add nailers above the sheet rock for the ceiling.

o

Hi, I got around adding nailers. Moulding is pretty light.
I put LocTight glue on the moulding held it in place and used a air gun and shot in the nails at opposing 45degree angles. Worked great.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

o

Several already replied about the trusses. Search Google for "truss uplift".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here