Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

What can you do with a 9' wide room?

Fori
11 years ago

I'm thinking of remodeling and moving my kitchen to a new addition in the back of the house. I want to find a use for the current kitchen space that isn't weird and doesn't require moving walls or otherwise messing with the basic bones of the house.

Fifties ranch house, if that matters.

The current kitchen is in the front of the house, with a closeable door into the foyer on one end and a door to a mudroomish space on the other. There is also a door into the living room which can be put anywhere along the length of the room (repairing a past bad remodel).

The room in question is 21 feet long and L shaped, being 10'long x 11' wide on one leg and 11'long x only 9' wide on the other. A basic galley with a bumpout dining nook.

Would it be unacceptably weird to put laundry facilities right off the entry hall in the galley part of the kitchen? And an office in the wide end? The skinny galley part of the former kitchen could have cabinets on one side (we need storage) and laundry machines on the other which could also be cabinetized. Our laundry facilities are currently in the garage and I wouldn't mind having them closer.

Or is this just completely ridiculous? Would a 10x11 room attached to a 9x11 laundry room just be weird? Laundry room off the foyer a dreadful faux pas?

Would a layout sketch help?

Thanks!

Comments (5)