Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treadingwater

A-frame roof

treadingwater
9 years ago

Last year we purchased an A-frame house built in 1986. The roof is original and therefore will need to be replaced soon. It is steep but I am not sure of the pitch. The front of the house is the living space and that room occupies both levels (the top is open). The back of the main level contains the two bedrooms. Above that space is a loft. The loft is 14 1/2 feet long and only 10 1/2 feet wide. (The width of the house is 25 feet.) The attic space has no access. My question is this: When we have the roof replaced (architectural shingles), how would the price compare to replace it exactly as it is or add 14 foot shed dormers to the loft in order to gain use of that space? Perhaps even just one shed dormer would be a benefit. We do not want to alter the front of the house, but are not opposed to altering the roof line in the back.

Comments (11)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

That's not an A-frame, It's a glass-ended house with a steep gable roof.
    This is an A-frame:
    {{gwi:2136540}}
    The things are _all_ roof, no side walls.
    If the structural engineer says it's OK then it is. But you need professional design input to alter the structure that significantly.
    Casey

• treadingwater
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I apologize for my misinformation. Clearly I am not very knowledgeable in my terminology.
    This would certainly not be a do-it-yourself project for us. If we got to the point of drawing up plans, we will involve a contractor. We live very far out of town, though, and I haven't wanted to ask contractors to come out to quote two different options on a project that likely won't happen for another year or two.
    We have been told that the roofing cost will be high because of the pitch. That is why I was wondering if the lesser roofing cost associated with the pitch of new dormers would help to offset the framing costs. I wasn't looking for specifics but simply an idea of how these would compare.
    Thanks for your input.

• mag77
    9 years ago

Great looking house, beautiful setting! I think it would be more economical - and much more satisfactory - to add on at the back of the house than to build dormers to expand the loft.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

The things to be studied and factored in: how is the roof framed? Load-bearing ridge? Timber framing with purlins? How is the floor framed, as you will be extending the loaded area of floor out to the wall plates? Are the joists OK with the extra sq ft of loading? Kinds of questions a PE and architect will answer.
    Foundation work on an footprint expansion is usually expensive enough to make an upward expansion the more economical choice, even factoring in significant structural costs.
    I don't want to discourage you in the least; it looks like a cool project.
    Casey

• zagut
    9 years ago

Re roofing and adding a dormer is apples to oranges.

Figure out what you'd like to do dormer wise and get a price on that.

If you decide to do the dormer do it before re roofing

Then get a price on a re roofing.

Don't be surprised to find it a higher price since you've complicated the job.

• Laura Ready
    9 years ago

Hello! We have very similar homes. Here in North Carolina it's called a chalet style home. We just bought ours -- it was built in 1988 and still has the original roof (and carpet and everything else) -- the roof will be the first thing changed -- hopefully starting next week. We are just "chopping off the chimney" at the roof line since the fireplace was replaced with gas logs -- and that added about $4000 to our roofing cost. So, I'm sure that adding the dormers will be quite an add-on.

• treadingwater
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all of your input! Readyami, would you be willing to share the square footage of your home and the cost to redo the roof? And thanks for the name clarification. Chalet style- I like it.

• mag77
    9 years ago

I might start specializing in chimney chopping.

• Laura Ready
    9 years ago

Right, Mag77?
    Treadingwater, our house is 2200 sf, but it's not "apples to apples" with yours because the steeply-pitched part only covers half of the house. The front half is the steep pitch, and back half (which houses the full-sized rooms on the second floor behind the loft) is a more normal pitch. The quote was more than we were expecting, but was consistent across several quotes. $12.5k including our contractor's fee.

• hippy
    9 years ago

Place a level against the roof.

From the point where the level touches the roof, measure out 12 inches.

From this point measure the distance in inches from the bottom of the level to the roof.

This will be the first number in the roof pitch. The second number will always be 12.
    ==
    Or you could use a Roof Pitch Calculator or an Angle Finder.

Most houses today run between a 4/12 to a 8/12 pitch. Since your roof is much steeper I just listed degree for pitches ranging from 12 up to 24.

12/12 = 45ð Degree angle.
    14/12 = 49.4
    16/12 = 53.1
    18/12 = 56.3
    20/12 = 59.0
    22/12 = 61.4
    24/12 = 63.4

• User
    9 years ago

This kind of roof requires a structural ridge beam because there are no horizontal ties between the wall top plates. Adding large shed dormers may increase the load on the ridge beam which might not meet he current code for strength. The same might be true of the rafters which might be stress-skin prefabricated plywood panels.

The first consideration for this kind of project is to hire an engineer to inspect the structure and determine the structural design requirements. The difference in the cost of roofing will be of little or no importance.