Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

architectural/design software

rockybird
11 years ago

Anyone have recommendations for remodel/design software or architectural software (for beginners)? Free is good, but I dont mind paying for it either.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

SketchUp or the BHG versions of Chief Architect are inexpensive and let you play and visualize some 3D choices. You won't be able to create actual building plans from them though. You'd need to upgrade to something like Revit or actual Chief Architect.

But, if you are planning an extensive reno, it's better to get a good architect and let them do the work for you.

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

The best software and knowledge base is found in a local experienced architect who designs and builds in your area.

Playing with CAD can be fun for us Geeks, but, more often than not, all it does is create unusable pre-conceived ideas which trained and experienced professionals have to disabuse clients about.

The Chief Architect versions are good, but they don't print large enough to use for construction documents unless you use the professional versions, and only the most expensive of the BHG versions allows one to "gang" items on a single sheet. If you haven't used them, the learning curve may be steep, depending on one's Geek-ness!

You will save your frustration and time by simply contacting your nearest chapter of The American Institute of Architects for referrals in your area.

Good luck on your project.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys! I will check this out!

I am working with an architect, but I want to play around with some of the plans myself. We just met and brainstormed ideas for the project, while he let me know what can and cant be done based on structural issues and setbacks. Anyway, he is working on a plan that we agreed on but I want to study it in more detail on my own before he gets it done.

Mostly, this will involve moving walls, expanding a part of the house to allow for an entrance to the master and adding a master bedroom/bath. He is great in listening to my ideas (some of which we have done) as well as answering my questions.

BTW, this architect just saved me 8k. I was going to use a contractor for some exterior work that he suggested. I thought the ctr. understood what we wanted, but the architect suggested he meet with him at the house. Turned out what they were going to do was not what we wanted at all! So I do understand the value of an architect. :)

• renovator8
    11 years ago

If an architect is providing you with scaled drawings all you need in order to play with the plan layout is a roll of tracing paper, a felt tip pen and an architect's scale. Your architect can provide you with those materials or you can buy them at an office supply store.

To see how the design is developing in 3D, SketchUp8 by Trimble is by far the best tool and it's free. Just enter the information from the architect's plan and add a roof. Your architect should be doing the same thing.

You can send an uneditable version of the 3D model to anyone who has downloaded the SketchUp Viewer program.

Here is a link that might be useful: Download SketchUp8 for free

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company