Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeyb15

Is This Granite Job Acceptable?

HoneyB15
12 years ago

Would you accept this granite job that does not line the backsplash (and foremost the countertop) up with the cabinets that were already in place when they can to measure for granite?

There is no underlying reason for the granite countertop or the backsplash to be extended that annoying extra 2 inches besides that I had a bunch of "dudes" who don't care about detail doing it. Whenever I asked them to fix other things in the bathrooms, they would just end up making different mistakes on the redo (i.e. fissures, chips, scratches). Am I being overly picky for a $5k product?

Comments (16)

• millworkman
    12 years ago

Not from my point of view.

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

Have they been paid? Extremely unacceptable!

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

Actually, it is done correctly to line up the splash with the edge of the granite countertop.

If you wanted the splash to line up with the cabinet, it would b. short of the edge of the counter, That would not have looked great either. The better solution would have been to not do a full height splash there. Or to have paid extra for a step down feature.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

How much overhang does the granite have over the base cabinet?

It is one of those things that should have been pointed out and discussed, but it may not be out of line if the counter is barely past the base cabinet.

They could have finessed the backsplash upper corner a little better.

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

Assuming the base cabinet is inline with the upper vertically, from the picture, the backsplash in line with the upper would have been right.

If not and this was their only alternative, as Brick states, they could have angled the splash into the upper at the upper corner of the splash.

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

Judging by the pic, it appears that the counter is an overhang in that area otherwise you would see the base. OP?

If that's the case, it's as the OP stated that there is no reason for the counter and splash to have gone that far out. The same counter to splash reveal would have been the same with the splash flush to the upper.

• renovator8
    12 years ago

IMHO the only acceptable solution now or before the granite was installed is additional trim added to the upper cabinetwork. Ask the cabinet maker to make some proposals.

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

Adding trim would be tough because of the top of the upper and what is involved up there. It would mean reworking of the upper dependent on what's up there. More pics would help.

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

GreenDesigns, both the splash AND the counter are 2" too long.

"There is no underlying reason for the granite countertop or the backsplash to be extended that annoying extra 2 inches"

HoneyB, I can't see why they wouldn't be able to cut off the extra and reinstall the edge trim? And yes, that's a reasonable expectation. They simply mismeasured, the goofballs.

• User
    12 years ago

Standard overhang on any counter is 1 1/2". Ogee edges occupy more physical space extension as well, and that is exacerbating the issue. Someone didn't explain the consequences of having a full height backsplash and ogee edge here. You either take the backsplash out to the edge of the counter, which they've done here and it extends beyond the upper cabinet. Or you line it up with the upper cabinet and have it be short of reaching the edge of the counter. Or you order it to be angled, or stepped, or rounded down to account for the difference in where the uppers stop, and where the (correct!) overhang edge of the counter is.

• worthy
    12 years ago

The contract, done with precise measurements beforehand, should have specified exactly what was lined up with what. If the customer was there at the time, she could have refused the items(s) and their installation.

I've never used a one-piece backsplash. But when using tile I have it in line with the upper cabinet.

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

With tile you have the luxury of onsite layout whereas with granite, as you well know, is at the mercy of those taking the measurements for cutting back at the shop. Obviously someone needs to learn how to read a tape or how to use the computer generated software coupled with laser measurements that is typically used these days. Whatever method, someone dropped the ball or it appears that way. Guess we wont know as the op seems to have vanished!

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"The contract, done with precise measurements beforehand..."

The precise measurements are normally taken AFTER the contract is signed in preparation for fabrication.

Most contract are pretty clear that the actual cost will depend on the detailed measurements taken from the site, not the estimate the homeowner brings to the fabricator.

For new work you might get away with detailed measurements from the start, but if things have to fit against existing older walls the exact measurements are rarely known form the start.
    Making the detailed measurements and shapes is part of the contract.

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

Even on new work it would probably be a safer bet to make templates when going granite. Now days many are using "cyber" templating onsite but in my mind, making up physical templates onsite is a reliable way to get exacts.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

The electronic scan templates (typically laser scan of the whole room) are painfully precise, even better than a physical template.

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

In the op's case, whatever templating method they used, they must have taken "to the cabinet" measurements and figured in overhangs later making the mistake on the one concerned. Either that or they simply took measurements by tape and dropped the ball. I guess the op has lost interest so we aren't gonna get any more details on this one!