Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing patio door and window, new construction or retrofit?

Posted by janesylvia (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 10, 07 at 12:15

I have 4 sliding patio doors and one horizontal sliding window. Is it better to use new construction or retrofit?
Different dealers gave me different suggestions. I got confused. So which one is better for my situation? My current windows are aluminum ones. It's a 1970 house.

I decided on Milgard vinyl. But one salesman tried to convince me to buy anlin. She said with similar price as Milgard, Anlin has triple coating and argon gas. My main concern is smooth sliding. I am living in the bay area between San Francisco and San Jose. I don't think Argon gas is that important. Am I right?

Thank you very much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing patio door and window, new construction or retrofit

The difference between new construction doors/windows and replacement doors/windows is fairly simple. New construction doors/windows have a mounting flange that rests on the wall sheathing(plywood/OSB/etc.) The doors/windows are installed before the final wall treatment(siding).

Using new construction doors/windows on a house with siding in place means removing/cutting the siding to allow the flange to rest on the sheathing.

Replacement doors/windows do not have that flange, allowing for installation without disturbing the siding. Some trimming is necessary with either type.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here