Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iruehl_gw

Turning a finished garage into bedroom?

IRuehl
11 years ago

I am trying to decide if I should take a finished off 'dead-space' and turn it into a 5th bedroom. The room was once a garage that was finished off legally by the previous owner. It has a window, Forced heat and air, and is a decent size.
To make it a bedroom I would have to add a new door that opens into the house (Formal Dinning Room) (Currently the only way into the room is from the laundry room then the utility room.) Then close off the old doorway and frame out a closet. I will be doing everything to code and with permits of course. But I am unsure how this will 'feel'
If this room is turned into a bedroom, it will be on the other side of my house, away from the bathroom and other bedrooms. I can see where this may be a con, for people with small kids (Talking resale down the road) and so on. But also a pro, people with teens who want privacy away from everyone else, or guest who don't want to sleep by the family/kids rooms.

Here are a few pictures, I would love some input from you guys!

As my house sits now, basic layout with the 'dead space'

How it would be, bedroom 5 is in red.

A very crude drawing of the wall a closet would be on, with the door I hope to close off.

The room from the doorway I hope to close off.

Comments (11)

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

The first thing to do is to check with your local bulding department for the requirements for parking and for sleeping spaces. Do nothing until you understand these requirements and obtain a legal building permit.

That said, would you want to personally sleep in this space? Where will you go to the bathroom and how will you get there? To me, this is the major hurdle to make this a successful bedroom. From it's location, it looks much more usable as a study, library or office rather than a desirable sleeping space. If you did this, I think it would be a big stretch to call the house a 4-bedroom house. Just my opinion.

Good luck on your project.

• IRuehl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

well, yeah. I already said that.
    I just cant see this space being a heated, cooled, sunny storage room. I don't need a 5th bedroom per say, but that is what so many others in my area have done with theirs. The bathroom is 30 seconds across the house, No farther then walking from the kitchen or dinning room to pee any other time. As far as being someplace to sleep, I think it can be fixed up to be as nice as any other room in my house. I am thinking total project cost, would it be worth it, or do I leave it dead. If I finish it off into a legal bedroom, I would use it as my office until I had to sell, then it would be staged as a guest room.

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

No, it's not worth doing as described. However, if you combined the utility room with the laundry room and then took some space from the combined areas to do a powder room that was accessible from that outside entrance as well as the new bedroom, then that would work. Then create a hall from the breakfast nook.

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

With better dimensions of the space, we could see if this could be done, but it would not only be a better "guest" room, it would be a better entry and mud area for your family.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

I don't think the ROI for a 5th bedroom is that great. If you don't need it for a 5th bedroom, why lock yourself into that?

Maybe a serviceable office with a good exterior entrance for working out of your home; or a good sized mudroom; or... would be better choices.

• IRuehl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone! I think I will set it up with a closet, and list it as a study, office and so on. If someone sees it as a possible bedroom in the future it would be easy for them to work with, otherwise it will be a useful part of the house.

If I made it a mudroom, it would still be unused, we always use the front door. I also need the utility room as a storage room for our junks and a tool room as well.

Thank you for the drawing redo! I love that Idea, but with a starter house, in a starter neighborhood, I would never see any of that money back. Adding the closet, and the door would run the husband and I 500$ (we do our own work) and have plenty of drywall already.

Then the flooring/paint/and adding a ceiling fan would run about 300 more. Sadly that's the top of our budget.

If I had all the money to work with it would look something like this.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Well, since currently it is pretty much unused, I think the plan to turn it into a usable space is a good one. As long as there is no negative impact on your dining room, why not? It's easy enough to do, and it can be undone in the future. Leave the framing for the door into the utility room inside the wall so that it can be changed back if necessary. It's funny that you think of such a big beautiful house as a 'starter house.' For many of us, this would be a nice place to finish up in.

• IRuehl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. Its price range and neighborhood in the area we live, this is in the lower end started area (Savannah GA). It had good bones, and my husband and I have been working non stop to make it look good. It was a shrine to the 70s with a bathroom we had to take down to the studs when we bought it. I think I may leave that door, like you said, just incase.

I wish I had the time or money to add bathrooms and so on. But I don't. I have a very small budget and only my husband and I to do anything. I think I may open the space up with French doors to bring in the light, and make a study/office/bedroom if someone else wanted to use it as such.

As far as entertaining goes, My husband and I are in our mid 20s. Any parties we do is a bbq with the neighbors and friends. Nothing formal. I don't think people in my neighborhood are the formal kind. Just laid back, porch chilling friendly people. Anyone who sleeps over ends up on a couch or kids room with kids in another :) So if I put in a daybed/twin/ or couchbed then my quest would be much happier ;)

Her is an awful doodle of what I am thinking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Morephotos of the room

• IRuehl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another ms paint masterpiece, this is the view from the foyer.

• IRuehl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oops. Hahaha *guest

• Susan
    11 years ago

actually i think it's a great idea for a suite for an aging parent, or a live in assistant if one is ever needed. a growing family might love it for a nanny or it could be an office.
    it does need it's own bathroom though, and two forms of egress as well.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths