Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cyndil_gw

Blanco Silgranit Sink

cyndil
18 years ago

Awhile back there was discussion in this forum about the care/cleaning of Blanco Silgranit sinks. I am extremely disappointed my my Anthracite sink, and Blanco is sending us a new sink. However, before I pay the plumber to make a switch, I am wondering if anyone else is unhappy with this sink. We don't know if we have a lemon, or if the product is really as horrible as the experience that we have had: everything seems to leave a white film in the sink, and only scubbing with Windex gets rid of it. Indeed, I followed directions and cleaned with BlancoClean - nasty film coating developed. I followed directions and cleaned with BarKeepers Friend - nasty film coating developed.

Anybody else unhappy?

Comments (63)

• gmp3
    12 years ago

Wow I love mine to death. I am moving and I'll miss that black sink. I clean it with the rough side of a sponge and dish soap. When we were showing the house I would shine it with Sprayway and wipe with a microfiber cloth. It is two years old and it looks new.

• arch123
    12 years ago

In my last house I had a black Blanco sink and we had very hard water with lots of lime. It was very difficult to keep this sink clean - I tried everything and had had to clean it every day. All the sinks were difficult, but the Black Blanco was the worst. I would not recomend if you have this type of water.

• may1918
    12 years ago

I have a Blanco black Silgranit Sink. I am on a well. We were getting the white stains and build up on our black sink (from minerals in the water, from our dish soap and from Barkeepers Friend). I would use vinegar and mineral oil, but they would never completely get rid of the white stains, they were just hiding the stains temporarily and then the stains would come back in about a week. I finally found this forum and looked at all of the remedies that were listed here in the comments, but none of them really worked. The one remedy I hadn't tried yet was the Target Brand Up and Up Magic Erasers. So...I decided to give the Magic Erasers a shot.

I purchased the Target Brand Up and Up Magic Erasers and I soaked one in water and squeezed out the water so it was still wet, but not dripping wet. Then, I started with the bottom of the sink were the major white staining was. I scrubbed lightly in a circular motion, then in a linear motion and the stains appeared to get lighter. Then, I applied a little more pressure and continued to scrub the stains. The more I scrubbed the stains with the Magic Eraser, the lighter the stains got until they finally disappeared! Then, I started on the white stains around the faucet and soap dispenser. Within a few minutes of scrubbing, those white stains disappeared as well.

Because of Target Brand Up and Up Magic Erasers and this Gardenweb forum, my black Silgranit sink looks like new again...for the first time in three years!

My recommendation, for anyone that has this problem, is to skip all of the other suggested solutions and try the Magic Erasers first...the Magic Eraser is really the only solution.

By using the Magic Erasers, I don't need to use mineral oil on my sink anymore. I still use mineral oil if I want to give the sink more of a shine, but I don't have to in order to hide the white stains anymore...because I don't have anymore white stains after using the Magic Erasers.

If I do see white stains gradually appearing again...I take out the Magic Eraser...dip it in water...squeeze out the excess water and I lightly scrub the white residue or stain until it is gone (which takes about a minute or two).

Thanks again to the people here that suggested the Target Brand Up and Up Magic Erasers...they really work and now my black Silgranit sink looks like new again.

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    12 years ago

I've got a 6 year old white one. It does get a little grungy looking sometimes. I keep a spray bottle full of water and a dash of bleach. I just spray the grungy sink, wait a minute or two and it looks like it's fresh out of the box.

• CassCass
    10 years ago

I have a 2 yr old Anthracite (black sink). The magic eraser works really great! I also recommend using the Mineral Oil to bring the original shine back up. Looks like the day I got it! I love my BLANCO sink!

• kathybates1
    8 years ago

Bottled lemon juice (full strength) completely removed all white film. My anthracite sinks are less than a year old and I do have soft water. I was very disappointed with the build up of white film. I had tried everything to remove the white film including using Bar Keepers Friend (recommended by Blanco). That did not work. Magic Erasers did not work. Granite cleaner did not work. I tried full strength bottled lemon juice. You may have to try several applications, but it took off all white film and all soap residue. Follow up with mineral oil, olive oil, or baby oil.

• beaniebakes
    8 years ago

I'm so glad to see this thread. I've had the black Silgranit sink for about 1.5 years and after a few months noticed a white haze. I assumed it was mineral deposits from very hard well water, but had never read about this issue on the numerous kitchen forum posts that I read prior to purchasing it. I keep a small spray bottle of white vinegar in the cabinet under the sink and spray the sink every few days, let it sit a few minutes and then rinse. I also tried CLF. Both do a fairly good job, but the mineral oil trick really seems to restore the surface to "like new" condition. I definitely have to try magic eraser. Honestly, I love this sink but feel as if I'm baby-sitting it.

• Gloria Armstrong
    8 years ago

Today I figured out how to restore the new look to my Blanco granite/acrylic sink! I had cleaned it with the Blanco sink cleaner but was still left with a white cloudy look. I decided to take a paper towel, wet it with vegetable oil and to spread it around a dry sink. I was generous with the oil. I let it sit for two hours and then wiped it down with a clean paper towel. I then took a damp cloth and wiped it again. It is incredible and look like new! My sink is a dark brown and 15 years old. I believe the cloudy white was just a build up from the water. Easy, cheap solution!! The vegetable oil is not harmful to the sink or the people using it.

• tiffanyjewelz
    8 years ago

I'm in the same boat as all of you. 6 year old, expensive as he!! sink that looks terrible. I'm so mad I could just spit! I'm on just regular city water. I've followed Blanco's instructions on cleaning this thing to a "T". Used Bar Keepers Friend the whole time and even with using that, you have to clean it at LEAST 3X's and let it dry each time to see what you are left with. Well now it's not cleaning up so good anymore. I scrub, really hard! (But only use the non-scratch blue sponges per Blanco.)

I had a white, porcelain Kohler sink in the house prior to this that I cleaned with Zud crème cleanser and it was super easy to keep clean. But this Blanco is a NIGHTMARE!!!!! It looks terrible, it will no longer come clean.

Somebody help me!!!

Post this on your webpage, Blanco!

• _sophiewheeler
    8 years ago

You shouldn't ever need to ''scrub'' a thing. It's non absorbant. If you have hard water, then fix the water chemistry. That's not Blanco's issue. That's yours.

Abrasives over time can and will dull anything, incuding granite counters or granite composite sinks. Over zealousness in cleaning is just as bad as never cleaning. Oiling it up will disguise the abuse.

• debmann
    8 years ago

I have the dark brown sink, approx. 6 months old. Had a white stain in the bar sink for the last few months and have not been able to get it out. Finally, with the help of these post....it looks brand new. I used Bar Keepers Friend and the magic eraser....I let the Bar Keepers Friend soak for about 30 minutes in a past solution....then rinsed in a circular motion...did this twice, then used the magic eraser....looks new! Thank you!!!!!

• Terri Burton
    8 years ago

I have the black blanco siligranit sink and it is white all the time, i have tried the blanco products. my water is not hard. the only thing that keeps it looking new is after cleaning if i put orange oil on it, but it doesn't last. i have tried magic eraser, even tried black car polish.

• Linda Conovaloff
    8 years ago

Our granite composite Blanco sink is over ten yrs old and dark brown. I was about to replace it, so, with nothing to lose, I cleaned it with CLR. When it was completely dry, I put Hope's Countertop Polish on it and let it dry. It looks like new. I put the Hope's on it about once a week and I love it. After more than two yrs of doing this there is no sign of any product build up and I just clean with dish detergent. The only place I can buy it now is on Amazon, but it isn't very expensive. Certainly cheaper than a new sink. I am in love with this old sink once again.

• Joanne Smith
    7 years ago

'Im so very grateful for this website...I've been upset about stains in the corners of my Blanco black kitchen sink. It's installed with a granite overlay onto our old countertop, so there's no taking it out and replacing it without tearing out the counters. I didn't know where the stains came from, but couldn't get them out and had just about given up. Thank heavens for Google and this forum! I zipped out today and got the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Have seen it advertised but never used it. Voila...after a couple of scrubs, the stains are gone - it really is magic. I wiped the sink with olive oil and now it looks like new...I couldn't be happier. As a bonus, had a bad rub mark on a white cabinet door where the appliance repairman scuffed it when he was working on the dishwasher. For grins, I decided to use the Magic Eraser on that...and bingo, took every spec of the scuff marks off with no damage to the paint. I'm amazed and very happy with the results. Thanks to you all.

• Sandy
    7 years ago

We have had a black Blanco sink for four years and I love it! For cleaning, I use the Mr. Clean Erasers and they do a fantastic job of removing the white haze that you can see and everything else you can't! After that, I put on a thin coat of mineral oil (saw this in a post somewhere) and it looks gorgeous. My problem is getting the stainless steel rack clean. From some of the posts above it seems like CLR won't hurt the sink, so I will try that next.

• Linda Driver
    7 years ago

Yes, we have one and it has a white film on it too frustrating as I've read how durable it is. Won't buy again

• numbersjunkie
    7 years ago

Mr clean magic eraser takes the white film off

• practigal
    7 years ago

Using a microfiber cloth daily prevents whatever that film is from building up...reducing your exposure to mr clean ( and his chemicals). Mr. clean really does work.

• Pamela Harris
    7 years ago

I am having a problem with dark stain near the

interior drain area on my grey blanco ..?

• drdan4th
    7 years ago

We have a white Silgranit Blanco sink. After a year we noticed a couple of pit on the bottom of the sink. We keep the bottom protected with a plastic grid and are careful about how we place items in the sink. Also, we are careful not to include any problematic chemicals in the sink. The number of pits seems to be increasing. Any ideas what is causing this problem and what can be done about it?

• Shari McCullough
    7 years ago

I have a beige/tan sink and have noticed a few pits after one year. We don't keep the bottom protected because I thought these sinks were so durable??? Could it be from a knife tossed into the sink? Also very hard to keep looking clean, especially the corners.

• dgremm
    6 years ago

I bought the Blanco stainless steel grids to protect the sink. The rubber feet on the grids have left marks on the sink. I use the Blanco cleaner but it doesn't remove the stains. Has anyone else had this problem?

• b_mcmartin
    6 years ago

I bought a house that has a white silgranit kitchen sink. I think the sink is about 10 years old, and after 10 months with it , I hate it! When I forget and drop some carrot gratings or some red cabbage, or any colorful vegetable in the sink, there will be deeply embedded stains. I've tried the suggestions here, but none of them work. The only thing that removes stains is leaving strong bleach overnight, something I want to avoid because it fills the house with fumes! I never had problems like this with stainless steel or porcelain.

• Frank and Judy Potter
    5 years ago

We were disappointed with our Blanco sink until reading comments here and discovering a solution to our problem of stains and a white film on the sink. We used the Mr. Clean Eraser Pads and I scrubbed completely three times. then I applied the mineral (baby) oil. The results were miraculous! Once again we are happy with and proud of the appearance of our chocolate colored sink. Thanks to those of you who suggested this remedy!

• jeannette10
    5 years ago

After trying several products to clean my grey silgranite sink, I now use mineral oil every week or 2 weeks. It keeps the white streaks away and my 2 year old sink looks brand new. It's so much easier than to try to scrub the sink with various products. I never have to scrub the sink if I use the mineral oil. Such an easy and inexpensive remedy.

• Jo
    5 years ago
    I have the Blanco Silgranite sink in Anthracite. I clean it quickly after I do the dishes in the evening by using Dawn dish detergent and water. Then I use the blanco cleaner every once in awhile. I have a silicone mat at the bottom. I have not had any issues.
  • L Rodriguez
    4 years ago

I am considering a white Précis Blanco sink for my renovated kitchen. I love the look of it , but very worried about the effort I will have to devote to it in order to keep it looking beautiful. Am I over stressing about this? Is It really that hard to keep clean?

• S Serwin
    4 years ago

I have had a Blanco Silgranite sink in Biscotti for over a year now am very happy with it. I like it much better than the Kohler porcelain sink I had for 17 years, which kept getting dings and scratches (mostly from the kids dropping silverware into it ... I did use a mat when doing dishes). The bright finish eventually wore off of it too. I had been cleaning the Blanco sink with Bar Keepers Friend, which worked to get out stains with light scrubbing. On a whim this week I tried the Magic Eraser, and it worked great... It was easy to see spots I had missed, and there was no mess like with a scouring powder. I have not have not had any problems with the film people are talking about. (I have soft water, though.) I do use a Rubbermaid mat when I wash dishes. The side I use for rinsing does seem to get dirty quickly, but now that I know the Magic Eraser works, it won't be such an effort to keep it clean. The only thing I don't like about the Blanco is the strainer baskets. They have more crevices to them (because you just push them down to seal the sink), which gunk seems to stick to, and I find hard to clean off.

• Shmoo
    3 years ago

Great old thread (coming from 2020). Would you purchase the Silgranit again or something else?

• dgremm
    3 years ago

I love the look of this sink and would buy it again. I would not buy the Blanco stainless steel grids again because the rubber feet have left permanent white marks on my grey sink.

• Linda Conovaloff
    3 years ago

Yes I think I probably would get a Blanco again. It takes some work to keep it looking okay, but they all do. (Except stainless steel, which I really don't like.)

• jeannette10
    3 years ago

Yes, I love the sink. I keep it clean using mineral oil every 2 or 3 weeks. It’s the best product I have found to get rid of white spots.

• Jo
    3 years ago

I have a chip in my silgranite sink now and I have no idea how I got it. I just found out that these sinks cannot be repaired. I do love the look of it but I am not sure what I would do the next time.

• beaniebakes
    3 years ago

Mixed feelings. I have the 33” sink in Anthracite and love the size and the way it looks, and would never get a small sink or double sink. However, I never realized it would require oiling to keep it looking good. The surface gets dull after a few weeks, with white stains appearing in various locations, mostly along the back. At first I assumed they were hard water mineral deposits (well water) and would wipe them down with vinegar each day, to no avail. Mineral oil does restore the luster to a beautiful, like-new condition, but sometimes I feel like I’m babysitting my sink.

• jeannette10
    3 years ago

I am used to the mineral oil. It’s easy to use. It removes the white stains and it keeps the sink looking nice. No other products I’ve tried worked. My sink is 3 years old and looks new.

• Shmoo
    3 years ago

Thanks all for your comments. Sounds too high maintenance for me!

• Sandy Larson
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I had the anthracite sink for years in our old house and loved it. Put one in our new house and it’s been awesome.....until today!😫 I was trying to remove grease from the grates on my gas stove. Used a baking soda paste on them and rinsed them off in the sink after it dried. Turns out the baking soda must have damaged the surface of my sink because it looks whitish now, not the beautiful shiny finish it usually has. Any one else had this problem or have any ideas? I tried to rub in olive oil and it looks good now but I am guessing it will dry out and look bad again! I’m just sick! Help!

• jeannette10
    3 years ago

I have the same sink. I use mineral oil every 2 or 3 weeks to remove white streaks. It works well for me. I’ve never used baking soda. I don’t really know what causes the white streaks but they go away with mineral oil. My sink looks as nice as it did when I bough it over 3 years ago. It seems that olive oil would work as well but it’s more expensive 😀

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

I can't imagine baking soda damaging a composite sink.

• beaniebakes
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Sandy.. I’ve had that sink for almost 10 years and I have to oil it every few weeks in order for it to have the original luster. Mine has white marks on it too, and they show up whenever the oil wears away. At first I assumed they were hard water mineral deposits and I would spray the sink with vinegar and wipe it down, but that didn‘t solve the problem. The manufacturer’s web site recommends oiling it. I use inexpensive mineral oil and I’ve also used a lemon oil/beeswax blend which worked well too, but was no better than the less expensive mineral oil. I’ve seen more expensive mineral oils used for soapstone but have not tried it. I love the sink but never expected it to require such maintenance.

PS. I just scrolled up and realized I posted the same information last month. Oh well.

• jeannette10
    3 years ago

It’s funny but I don’t mind oiling the sink. It’s not any more work than using other cleaning products. Blanco does not recommend oil and instead sells you their own cleaning products.

• Linda Conovaloff
    3 years ago

I have been using Hope's Perfect Sink for the past few years and it is the easiest way I have found to keep my Blanco sink looking nice. (My sink is now about 16 yrs old!) This product cleans and leaves a protective coating on the sink at the same time. I get it at Amazon, but there are probably other places to get it.

• beaniebakes
    3 years ago

Thanks Linda.. will definitely try it.

• jeannette10
    3 years ago

Thank you. I will try it.

• Gloria Armstrong
    3 years ago

I use vegetable oil or olive oil on the sink. Recently I tried spraying it with Original Pam. works great

• HU-948314782
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We are getting mold under our black Silgranit bar sink. Has anyone had the same problem? We have not gotten it under our other stainless sinks.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

HU:

Your sink is leaking. Anytime anyone has black/brown crud, their sink is leaking. No, it cannot be fixed topically, no matter what your handyman says. Drop the sink, clean the stone bottom and the sink flanges, silicone and strap the sink in place and the problem is solved.

• Gayle
    2 years ago

Has anyone tried the ceramic coating spray? It is by home line.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

No topicals please. I've never seen one work long term.

• Linda Conovaloff
    2 years ago

You might also check to see if any of the plumbing is leaking, especially around the drain hole. The humidity could build up and cause mold. I wouldn't use any of the coating products. You don't want to get to the point where you have to try to remove it.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz