Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
curmudgeon10_gw

Need Support When Installing Short Header on Load Bearing Wall??

Curmudgeon10
11 years ago

I am installing a pocket door in a load bearing wall. The total wall span is 15 feet. The existing rough (supported) opening in the wall for the swing door is about 31-1/2". To accomodate the pocket door, I need to reframe this rough opening to 49-1/4".

I already have constructed a 2x6" beam to carry the load above this opening. To install it, I'll need to demo a post, and cut off some studs; the job should take about 15 minutes max before the beam is in place.

For just a 4 foot opening in a 15 foot wall, and for just a few minutes, do I really need to go to all the trouble of constructing temporary supports for the ceiling?

Comments (16)

• _sophiewheeler
    11 years ago

Your math is off for the header that you need for a 30" pocket door. And yes, you need to support the ceiling. What is the load carried by the wall? Do you know how to calculate that?

• Curmudgeon10
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's a 24 inch pocket door, rough opening is 49 1/4"W, 84 1/2" H. I have no idea how to calculate the load. Above is a truss structured insulated attic with asphalt shingle roof. Existing wall construction is standard 16" OC studs.

Appreciate the help!

• renovator8
    11 years ago

What will be resting on the top of the wall above the new door opening?

• Curmudgeon10
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I haven't been in the attic to see whether a truss rests directly on this wall or not (OK, I'm lazy; it is a ten foot ceiling, and my ladder for that height is downstairs in the basement). I just know from previous work on my house that this wall runs in the same direction as the trusses for that portion of the house.

From below, where I've demo'd the drywall, one can see that the king studs and trimmers terminate on a conventional looking 2 x 4.

• cookncarpenter
    11 years ago

If the trusses run the same direction as the wall, it sounds like it may not be load bearing? I would at least go in the attic and see what may be affected by your temp wall removal... shoring is quick, cheap, and easy insurance

• renovator8
    11 years ago

Why would you ask others to take the time to advise you when you aren't willing to find out if the wall supports anything?

• Curmudgeon10
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gee, Renovator, sorry to have taken up SO MUCH OF YOUR VALUABLE TIME.

I confirmed that the wall is load bearing, and in the demolition noticed that the single 2 x 4 header over the existing swing door had a SLIGHT downnward bow in it, which means that that opening should also have been headed off by something more substantial than a single two by four during the original construction 15 years ago. The deflection wasn't (yet) enough to impede or cause any visible problems with the swing door.

Hollysprings, still waiting for that method to calculate the load. In the mean time, through some internet research have found that a 2x6 header is adequate to support a conventionally framed unoccupied attic for my rough opening of 49-1/4".

• zagut
    11 years ago

Same direction as the trusses.
    Single 2x4 header.
    Does it have a single or double top plate?
    Just how did you confirm it's a load bearing wall?

• renovator8
    11 years ago

If the roof trusses are parallel the wall, the wall is highly unlikely to be structural regardless of any sagging of the original header.

It was not my time that I was referring to; it was your odd refusal to look more closely at the existing conditions. We can offer advice but we cannot inspect your house framing for you.

• _sophiewheeler
    11 years ago

Bite the bullet and head on into the attic.

• snoonyb
    11 years ago

HHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMM;

Another hand out for gimme,

with a mouth full of much obliged.

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

I didn't hear the "much obliged". I heard "why are you questioning my question?" by someone who can't be bothered to look at his own house situation.

End of interest.

• southerncanuck
    11 years ago

For just a 4 foot opening in a 15 foot wall, and for just a few minutes, do I really need to go to all the trouble of constructing temporary supports for the ceiling?
    No you don't have to go to any trouble for a 15 minute job. Or go down and get your ladder.

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

You probably don't need a tetanus shot and a hard hat and safety glasses either.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Hush, people, I want to see how this ends.

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

Chances are it won't end pretty.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler