Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbie_r

How does one handle a turret?

Debbie_R
10 years ago

Hi and Happy New Year!!
I'm new here and thrilled to learn of the forum.
We are in contract to purchase PART of an unusual building. The house was built in the 1880s and is currently in rough shape.

We have to gut the place and start from scratch. We will be living on the 2nd and third floor.
The second floor would hold the kitchen, living room, dining room, and a guest room/office.
The 3rd floor is for master bedroom/closet/bath etc.

I have already come up with 15 different versions of the 3rd floor plan but have not yet found the ideal use for the turret.

The turret is on the southwest corner and will be filled with light. I really want to find the best use for it.

We can add walls as needed.
Removing walls is most likely possible but will require columns.

We want to have the bedroom in the area marked as master bedroom.
I welcome any and all suggestions!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Comments (11)

• weedyacres
    10 years ago

What are the total dimensions of this floor? Will it be dedicated 100% to the master suite?

I think the turret area would be a fabulous sitting area off the master. Depending on size of the whole thing, of course.

• Debbie_R
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!

The turret room is roughly 14 x 14 excluding the extra space from the turret.
    We want to add a nice size closet and a master bath.

The place is currently packed full of stuff so I canâÂÂt get accurate measurements. We will need to add some insulation and drywall over the exterior plaster walls so that will reduce the room sizes a little bit, too.

As soon as I âÂÂcutâ the turret room to have a closet or bathroom the turret sitting/reading area gets to be about 7 feet at the narrow point.
    Would that feel cramped? Or become an intimate reading nook?

HereâÂÂs one of the plans that shows that option.

I appreciate your feedback and willingness to help a stranger.
    : )

• bpath
    10 years ago

Oh, come on now, would you deprive your guests of the opportunity to stay in a turret?! Save a little money on pipes by moving your new bath over next to the existing bath, and put the turret in the guest room! Only problem is, your guests might keep coming back...and telling other friends. Don't worry, you can still put a reading chair and bookcase in there for you :)

• Debbie_R
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That was another one of the floor plans. : )
    Thanks!

• renovator8
    10 years ago

The true purpose of a turret is to defend the adjacent walls from attack. I suggest black-out curtains, a central floor rack for automatic rifles, ammunition boxes under the windows and exterior klieg lights.

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

LOL! aren't you forgetting slots to fire the rifles through?

best of luck OP!

• renovator8
    10 years ago

Body armor! Don't need no stink'n slots.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I remember a floor plan (year ago) with a big, claw foot tub in front of the turret. Close enough to enjoy the view, but with room to access that area for cleaning and watering plants. They has lots of plants (all that lovely light) and it was beautiful.

Just an idea :)

• Debbie_R
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you all!
    My husband will love the defense idea--- though he will argue in favor of arrows.
    : )

I like the tub idea, but I'm not sure about how easy/difficult the cleaning woudl be.

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Please post pics when you are remodeling so we can see this interesting space afterwards! :) I agree with a combo guest room/library sort of thing -- your guests will loooove it! Or if you could use it as a master with sitting area, then that would be even nicer. I like the idea of putting the master bath over by the other bath, then you could create a nice big walk-through closet between bedroom and bath. Personal taste dictates whether you want the bath closer or farther from your bed -- I like as far as possible, I hate hearing my husband's late night visits to the bathroom.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Thu, Jan 16, 14 at 12:53

• louislinus
    10 years ago

How could you deprive us of pics?? This sounds amazing.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living