Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dutch lap vs. Clapboard Siding

Posted by jjbubble (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 8, 10 at 11:10

We're siding partly in vinyl shake and part in straight siding. I wanted clapboard, but they put in dutch lap. The contractor said he thinks it's much nicer, esp. with the shakes and almost everyone does it that way. What do you think? Considering having them re-do in clapboard but not sure it will make a big difference to everyone else and will cost $$ (it was husband's mistake). All the siding is in the same color.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dutch lap vs. Clapboard Siding

It's hard to judge the appearance of something you can't see and I've never seen the vinyl siding version of dropped/novelty/dutch siding but I would imagine that beveled (clapboard) vinyl siding would be less interesting and distinctive especially with shakes.

o

Thanks. The beveled siding is Dutchlap.
http://www.certainteed.com/products/vinyl-siding/310062

Here is a link that might be useful: Dutchlap siding

o

"The beveled siding is Dutchlap"

Well, that's certainly confusing.
Real wood clapboard is called "beveled" siding because it is taper-sawn to be wedge-shaped (like shingles) and that term distinguishes it from "lap" (or drop) siding which sits flat against the sheathing and only overlaps because it has a some kind of continuous notch to allow an overlap. There are seemingly unlimited variations for the design of the lap grooves.

"Dutch" lap siding is lap siding with a continuous curved scoop below the lap notch and is quite different from beveled or clapboard siding. Dutch lap siding was called "novelty" lap siding until it became so popular.

Manufacturers of imitative siding will use whatever name they think will sell more of their product and, of course, none of their products actually has the same profile as what they attempt to imitate. But it is still best to stick with the well established terms in a discussion.

Unless a house is very formal and of a Colonial, Colonial Revival, Greek Revival, etc. style I like the drop siding better but I haven't seen the house so I should not be advising you. My old boss often warned to never "design in a vacuum" and this would be "designing blind".

Here is a link that might be useful: real novelty lap siding

o

Perhaps because real wooden "german siding" (as it's called here) was very prevalent in the old days, the vinyl version is also used quite a bit. I have not only seen it on many houses, but installed a little some years back on a remodeling job.
I'd say it accounts for 50% of vinyl in my area.
It's no better or worse than double 5 or whichever. It looks a bit different is all; the quality of the job is more dependent on the installer than the material.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here