Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peachymomo_gw

Should my Mother install Radiant heated floors in her rental?

peachymomo
12 years ago

My Mother has a rental house that was trashed by the previous tenant, we finally had him evicted and are now in the process of fixing up the house so that we can rent it to someone else. Our carpenters have been working on it and they say the bones of the house are good, it just needs a lot of cosmetic work. The main problem is that there is no heating in the house at all and the floor is beat up and has three slightly different levels, with about a half inch to two inches of rise between 'levels.' It is a small house and there is about 1,000 square feet of floor space.

So here is my question; if the house has no heating a needs new floors anyway, does it make sense to put in radiant heated floors?

Comments (8)

• renovator8
    12 years ago

For a rental house the issue is usually initial cost. Since a hot water boiler with one or more circulators is probably the best option you only need to get prices for under floor and baseboard distribution systems.

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

Absolutely NOT! You want a call in the middle of the night that there is water leaking from the floor? You'd probably find out that they nailed a doorstop through the tubing or had an unauthorized pet have repeated accidents and were trying to replace the floor boards when they punctured the tubing.

Do not waste expensive state of the art technology on vandals that barely pay you a monthly stipend to not sleep in the streets. They WILL find a way to damage it, even if you think it's not possible.

• snoonyb
    12 years ago

How did the dwelling come to have no comfort heating appliance, which has been required by CA. building code, as long as I've been around?
    Before your "carpenters " close the walls and ceilings up, have gas line run for a wall heater, which the plumber can also install and vent.

• peachymomo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The previous tenant removed the baseboard heaters that existed in the house originally. He also took all the appliances, the copper pea traps out of the sinks, and some 220 wiring cable from the unfinished laundry room (the electrician was floored, he said the guy had to be pretty ballsy to do it.)

BTW, my carpenters have 60+ combined years experience building houses, they know what they are doing and don't deserve the quotations.

• snoonyb
    12 years ago

I'm also a "carpenter" with 40+yrs. experience, and put the bags on every day.
    I also accomplish both elec. and plumbing, and would have advised you of the pros and cons of both elec. and water driven radiant heat systems as well as alternative systems that would fit easily into your present fuel source systems, obtained estimates for what you select, or both.

And by the way, in those 40-yrs. I've had one warranty call back and that was for painting, thats for the ".

• renovator8
    12 years ago

As a courtesy to the other members you two should move your trivial spat to the Conversations section.

• snoonyb
    12 years ago

Renovator8, instead perhaps you, now having the knowledge that the OP resides in a mild climate zone, and perhaps the subject dwelling which was heated by elec. baseboard devise, might entertain some addition constructive advice.

However let me provide you with some insight for the area.
    In the 60's and 70's during the condominium boom some of the multi unit developments employed a dislocated boiler system to provide hot water used in heating and general use. Since the rate of usage was not individually metered, the cost was mutually shared in the form of the association dues.

The prevalent system is the individual 40gal hot water heater where water and fuel sources are also individually metered.

The latter, while not predominantly used in single family, is.

Boiler systems are an exception,

• renovator8
    12 years ago

You should be talking to the OP. I rarely read your comments.