Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
remodeling stairs-need help

Posted by Peke (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 11:04

We redid our "thigh-master" stairs. Half way up I needed to pull myself up with the rail. They were all different heights and depths. So now they are perfect, but I need to finish the platform part.

The floor is white oak and the stair treads are red oak. One day we will redo the very light white oak floor and make it darker. The stain for the red oak stairs will be a medium oak.

What do I do with the platform part? Red oak to match the stairs or white oak to match the floor? There is one more step down to the floor which will be red oak. Do I put oak boards like the stair treads or do I put oak flooring?

Thanks for your advice. Peke

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: remodeling stairs-need help

The floor looks a lot lighter than this. Almost a blond color.

o

stair treads

o

Go with the color of your stairs for the landing.

o

Yes, make all of the stair assembly consistently the same. It won't matter if there is a slight difference between stairs and floor, but it will make a HUGE difference if the stairs are inconsistent.

Good luck!

o

That is what I thought, but the contractor said same as the floor. I told him not to finish it yet.

So now do I just buy plain oak boards like on the stairs or do I buy tongue in groove oak flooring and hope it matches?

Peke

o

bump

o

Are the tread pre-fab treads or did you buy sheets of oak and cut/router them into tread form? What about for the risers?

You'll want tread nosing on the edge of the landing and the bottom step. To fill in the rest of the landing, you'd need wood of the same thickness (unless you planned for something thinner by adjusting the height of the subfloor).

You should either use t&g boards or I suppose you could biscuit several straight boards together to make a 1-piece platform.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here