Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
la_koala

Advice please: GC and items that can't be done til spring?

la_koala
12 years ago

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on the practicalities of how to handle this aspect of my remodeling situation, when most of the project will be complete early Feb while some have to be deferred to warmer weather.

Situation:

• Have a contract with GC for major remodel project: gut of kitchen, mud room, powder room, back deck.

• Project's in northern New England

• While all of the interior project will be complete in the next two weeks (Feb), some have to wait until warmer temperatures outside

For example, the GC's subcontractor painter has said they can't paint the outside door until spring.

We have a written contract with the GC, and it has clauses about change in schedule, and "final completion" and "punch list". However, my connotation of "punch list" items has been that those are things you expect the GC will never be back to finish, so you should prepare a contingency plan to have them done yourself. (And I could be wrong--this is our first big remodel).

So, my questions are:

- How are these things normally handled? Do they all become "punch list" items?

- Is it best to basically "close off" the contract with the GC? Pay the contracted amount minus the cost of doing the deferred items, and then make a new contract for those items that has a new schedule?

Any and all advice welcome, thanks!

--Lee

Comments (5)

• User
    12 years ago

The punch list is actually those items found to be incomplete/inoperational/broken in the first inspection upon completion and into several weeks of use.

The GC is usually tasked with remedying everything on the list.

Seems prudent to me to simply do/pay for the things that can be completed in a timely manner. Waiting a couple of months could create huge problems.

• la_koala
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi handymac, thanks for your response!

Thanks for what you described as the punch list. That goes along with what I had originally thought (and as a newbie, wasn't completely sure).

I tend to be prudent, so your thoughts on paying for what can be completed timely does resonate with me. I've only been paying for what's completed, minus 10% retainage. I guess what I'm wondering is whether to keep holding onto the retainage until the GC says "gee, I'm done", and then say, well what about these contracted items that can't be done until spring?

Or should I bring it up earlier myself, rather than wait for him to?

--Lee

• User
    12 years ago

That's a hard call with no knowledge of the situation.

Might help the GC speed things up if he knows the seasonal are off the list now.

Or, might slow him down. Kinda needs your best call.

• Billl
    12 years ago

As a general rule, I think it is always better to be up front about everything so everyone is on the same page. Nobody wins where there are surprises at payment time.

• PRO
    Mouldex Exterior & Interior Mouldings
    12 years ago

I agree with Bill, definitely don't wait until your contractor brings it up. At the end of the day, you still want him to complete the job and well. It will cause tension for the remainder of his contract if you shock him.

It sounds like there's a common understanding between you and your contractor that you're paying as you go anyway. It should come as no surprise to him that he won't get paid until it's complete.

And at the end of the day, he's right though, you should wait for warmer weather to start a project like that. On your side, they should have stated the restriction in the contract when the reno started.