Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone else have problems with new "green" insulation?

Posted by missyoka (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 10:38

My DH recently installed certified "green" insulation by Certainteed in our home. We noticed that it smelled like rancid coffee (it even had dark streaks in it), but we thought, hey, it's green, so it must be healthy. (In hindsight, we did find it strange that some bags of insulation smelled much stronger than others.)

Well, my DH decided to immediately rip it out of every crevice of every joist of our home after he had installed it just 5 days prior. It made his nose feel stuffed up, but more problematic it triggered an asthma reaction in me... so severe that I had to move into a neighbour's house until all the stuff had been removed and all the joists vacuumed clean (and this from a man I can't even get to vacuum the house).

I contacted Certainteed who sent a guy who took some samples he said would be tested. But months later I would learn via email(and only after I prompted him to respond)that he did not even test the samples he took from our home, and instead "tested" other unopened bags he picked up from the dealer! Huh?!? My followup email received no further response.

My question is, has anyone used the Certainteed green insulation that smells like burnt coffee? And has anyone had an adverse reaction to it? Or is this just me? Wish they'd tell what they put in that stuff!

So much for me persuading DH to go "green"!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone else have problems with new "green" insulation?

"Green" only describes certifications the insulation has received from independent agencies that monitor sustainability, etc.

Give us the name and type of the insulation. Certainteed "Sustainable Insulation" is fiberglass made with a plant based binder instead of formaldehyde and has medium brown streaks in it.

If it has a kraft paper facing the petroleum based asphalt coating will smell for a week or two. For many reasons it is best to use unfaced batts with a polyethylene vapor retarder.

o
RE: Anyone else have problems with new "green" insulation?

The insulation we used that gave us so many problems was Certainteed Sustainable Fiber Glass Insulation without kraft backing.

These are UNFACED batts.

Not only was this a costly mistake for us, it really shocked us that something ok'd for California indoor use triggered an asthmatic reaction!

Would love to hear if anyone else has experienced problems with this type of Certainteed insulation!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here