Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dannyjt

OK to vent range hood over a window?

dannyjt
17 years ago

Hi all. I've been slowly redoing our kitchen over for the past few years and I was recently laid off, so the next month is a pretty much total demo of the ceiling and a few walls to run new outlets, recessed lights, and a new range hood. We were originally going to vent the hood to recirculate into the kitchen, as it's on an inside wall,but since I got laid off and decide to do a new ceiling, we're now doing an outside vent. Glad I bought the convertible hood! The hood vents via a 3.25x10 opening. I was going to transition to 7inch round right off the hood, go up 2 feet through a cabinet, then a 90, 10 feet across the ceiling- the joist are lined up perfectly- a straight shot, then vent out the outside wall, through the vinyl siding.

My question is the vent wall cap will be pretty much centered about 18 inches over the kitchen double windows. I live in the Northeast and the only thing I can think may happen is we'll get some condensation on the window in the winter. Any code or common sense not to do this?

Thanks for any input!!! -Dan

Comments (9)