Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bostonpam_gw

Please help with our guest room remodel

bostonpam
11 years ago

Our contractor will start in March to finish our guest room suite so I need to have a plan. It was our old kitchen and pantry and was gutted when we had massive ice dams. We completed a major renovation a few years ago and ran the plumbing, electrical, gas, cable, etc just under the floor.

I see this room being used by guests up to 3 months. Possibly one set of parents may move in for the long term a few years from now. We also want families that are seeking medical treatment at Children's to stay here -so they may want some private space. The room is on the 2nd floor going up the back staircase off of the mudroom entrance. It is very private.

The door on the left is the entrance to the room. It could move more towards the east wall if needed. Windows aren't moving. Doorway on the south wall will only be used for an emergency - it leads into the future master bath and the rest of the house. The doorway on the west wall into the bath will be a pocket door.

We can bump out the left side 11" (there is a bump out on the first floor for the refrigerator and it would be over that area). In that bump out I want to put a small stackable w/d (24" wide) plus microwave, tiny frig and hanging bars. That space is 36" deep by 68" long. Is it doable? Because of the w/d I need louvered doors - I'm thinking sliding ones otherwise the entrance to the bathroom would be blocked.

Even though the room will be insulated it's still cold so we'll add a small fireplace on the west wall. I want to fit a table and chair (s) too. I'm cramming in a lot of stuff - I hope it's not too much. I will have a separate request for the bath help. The room is 171" x 155". The bathroom is 62" x 136".

So my questions:
> will W/D, microwave, frig and hanging bars fit in the 36" x 68" closet?
> what kind of doors for the closet? sliders, bi-folds, other?
> Does the layout make sense - we have a queen bed already
> Do I need to move the fireplace to fit a table and chair(s)
> TV is going on/above a small antique buffet table between the closet and exit door - should it go somewhere else? Thanks!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH