Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heavy Texture on Kitchen Walls

Posted by gagesgranny (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 2, 09 at 6:43

Previous owners did a poor job of texturing the kitchen walls. It is very heavy texture. Would it be possible for me to smooth them out some with joint compound? I plan to repaint but would like a smoother wall first. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heavy Texture on Kitchen Walls

We had heavy texture on our ceilings and walls too. We smoothed it out with joint compound and it worked well.

Good luck!

o

Thank you, Golddust. Did you put a primer over your ceiling after you smoothed it with joint compound?

o

We had that in a bathroom. It was so thick we wound up tearing out the walls and put new dry wall. What a nightmare it was.

Jane

o

Yes, we did a primer to seal it. Keep in mind, heavy texture is different than that blown in popcorn stuff popular in the 60's and 70's. My BIL is a drywall/painter guy. He says you must steam off the real popcorn (the stuff with sparkles).
I tried to photograph my new and improved lightly textured ceilings but it was impossible to capture it.

o

Thank you again, golddust. I am sure that what we have in this kitchen is what the previous homeowner applied to try and achieve a tuscan texture. My husband says that it feels like joint compound to him that went on too heavy. Do you still think that I can use thin layers of compound to smooth these walls a bit? Should I try to sand some of the areas that have a lot of peaks sticking out? Love the kitchen, hate the walls but our budget will not allow us to re-drywall at this time. Thank you for your help

o

It's hard because my BIL is the magician with drywall, not me. I remember that he did do a bit of sanding in the kitchen for the really bumpy stuff but he mainly just filled it in. I can tell by looking at it what it used to be but it's almost smooth now and 100% better.

o

Just be careful the material does not contain asbestos or lead. I think there are usually testing kits available.

o

I second pbj999's advice! Make sure it is safe. Oh old houses - they can bring us to our knees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here