Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Studio ideas

Posted by chrismen (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 6:22

HI
I am in the process of buying a small studio apartment to use as a pied terre ( 4 nights a week max) and want to make it more liveable. I have a number ideas but would like peoples views on them and if there are any issues with doing them.

1. I want to move the kitchen � see attached. I am leaning towards proposal 1, as it is 180cm in length and I do not need a full kitchen for my requirements. ( and I am not sure if I could build a conservatory/extension on the courtyard anyway.) Are there any issues for doing this that i need to be aware of?

2, Create a bedroom space � see attached. the main studio space is just under 20ft long and 14 wide. I would like to put in a partition wall of some sort to make it a bedroom. I am concerned that this room will be very boxy ( ie there is no window) are there any ideas to make this room "nicer". I am leaning towards frosted glass sliding doors but am a bit concerned that the light into the room will still be limited (http://www.ikeahackers.net/2010/10/turn-your-studio-apartment-into-1.html)

Any other decorating ideas welcome � roof height is about 8ft so very low, but the flat has a really nice feel about it, especially with the small courtyard.

Thanks in advance
Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Studio ideas

I assume the first layout is the current existing one?

With proposal #1, it looks like you walk through the front door right into the kitchen. I don't care for that. I prefer a small welcoming entryway. Also, if you have guests, they will have to walk through your bedroom to use the bathroom.

Proposal #2 maintains guest access to the bathroom, but you added a hallway, which wastes space, especially in such a small apartment.

I also wonder if it's possible in the apartment to move the kitchen plumbing. What kind of floors does it have?

It sounds like your main goal is to have a walled-off bedroom. Why not make that in the upper RH corner? That leaves the middle of the space for the living area. You can shrink the kitchen if you want, to just be along the top wall, with the living room opposite it. However, I do worry, even with that arrangement, that it will feel too small to close off a bedroom. Your whole apartment would fit inside my kitchen! :-)

o
RE: Studio ideas

I can't see your plans well. Can you post a better photo?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here