Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aliko_gw

dumpster that fits in a garage?

aliko
13 years ago

Hello,

I am moving to a house in San Jose, CA. The house has a 2 door garage, but no driveway. The front of a house is a walkway separating two rows of houses, so no street either. So having a large dumpster is out of the question since the hoa forbid anything in front of the garage.

Is there any place I can rent a dumpster small enough that will fit in a 2-car garage, and bit enough for me to do a small bathroom remodel? (I would need to throw everything away, vanity, toilet, bath tub, and maybe drywalls.

Unfortunately the city garbage service is "garbage". $25 to pick up 3 large items and have to be scheduled, and I don't think they pick up construction material either.

Comments (14)

• steveinjersey
    13 years ago

Check to see if you can drop off at the local landfill. There my be a fee. In some places they have one day a week where residents can drop off a "normal size load" with no fees.

• joed
    13 years ago

A utility trailer with high sides might be better for you. Then you could haul it to the dump yourself.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

Are you looking for a dumpster or a roll-off?

Roll-offs are going to be a real chore to positionin a garage without damaging anything, and they tend to all be the same width.

Dumpsters can be had in relatively small sizes with wheels that allow them to be muscled around.

One of the ones behind our office is only 8 feet long, 4 feet high and 4 feet deep with four swivel casters.
    It takes two people to move it most of the time (especially when full) but only takes up aa 4 x 8 foot section of floor.

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

Try posting your fixtures on Craigslist or Freecycle. You would be amazed what people will come and take, for camps or whatever. People gratefully took away our old toilets, sinks, faucets, mirrors, even an old deck! Our tub was cast iron so the scrap metal guys wanted it.

Then, you'll only have the drywall, etc.

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

Have you checked with the HOA about whether this is a prohibition on something temporarily inplace? I know HOAs can be nutty, but how do they expect any remodel to be done if you can't have a dumpster for a little bit? And even if they are not cooperative, I'd consider just renting a dumpster and doing the tearout quickly: that way, by the time they give you a notice that it's not allowed, it should be ready to haul off. Unless they have the authority to fine you immediately, you should be able to make this approach work. As the saying goes: Sometimes it's easier to be forgiven than to get permission!

• homebound
    13 years ago

No need for a dumpster since you can just make a pile in the garage. Then hire a junk removal guy at the end, who will back up his truck and hand load it. Contractor bags help for the small stuff.

• homebound
    13 years ago

...at the very end, you could have your dumpster dropped for just a couple hours and load it yourself.

• aliko
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I will keep my use my garage as temporary dump site, and have someone come and pick them up when I am done. Yes, the HOA is a pain. I asked them if I can park a moving truck in front of my garage during moving and they say no. How am I going to even move!

• macv
    13 years ago

The benefit of a dumpster is that it is available for the duration of the project and that's why it is not attractive to your neighbors.

You might be able to get someone to take the debris away in a truck for less than the cost of a dumpster. It probably wouldn't cost much more for them to do the demolition too which might save you from a tetanus shot.

Also, buy a wide rolling magnet with a long handle and run it over the garage and driveway every day if you want to avoid replacing tires and getting to work late.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

An actual dumpster will easily fit in a garage.

A roll off not so well.

Call a local company and explain your problem and what you want.

• Jace-Chicago
    12 years ago

For my remodel, we just filled the garage. For a 15x15 pile 10 feet high, I paid $550 per load, which ended up being cheaper than dumpster fees, especially after adding the cost of daily rental. Two workers loaded it all and swept the entire place clean in under an hour. It's best if there's nothing in the garage you plan to keep.

• lazypup
    12 years ago

I don't know about where you live, but everywhere I have ever worked, and that is in 9 states, the firecodes prohibit placing a dumpster or rolloff inside a structure.

• sis3
    12 years ago

Home Depot sell a 'Dumpster in a Bag' that might be a solution for you. I have attached the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dumpster in a Bag

• sis3
    12 years ago

Just noticed that this is an old thread so the OP no doubt has resolved the problem by now.