Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmalma_gw

Sky Tunnels Installation: Is this normal?

dmalma
10 years ago

Hi all! I just had 3 12-inch sky tunnels installed in the dark part of my courtyard by a roofing company who was rated highly on Angie's List. The problem: All of the tunnels have a portion that is dark/shadowed and doesn't let light in. (Please see pic of 1 of the tunnels, which was taken standing directly under it.) When I pointed this out to the installer he was puzzled and figured it must be the time of the year. (The sun isn't directly overhead in the winter.) It seems odd because the open part of my courtyard gets sun coming through and no matter what time of the day (morning or afternoon) the shadows within the tunnels never change (don't get bigger/smaller.) These domes are not blocked on the roof by anything. Is this normal? Thanks for your help! (Btw, I'm in Southern California if that makes any difference.)

Comments (2)

• annzgw
    10 years ago

I'm no expert in sun tunnels but it appears there's a bend in the tube. If there is no bend, did the installer remove the interior ring and examine the inside of the tunnel and the diffuser?

• renovator8
    10 years ago

The amount and shape of the light that reaches the ceiling lens is greatly dependent on the angle of the sun and the roof and the optics of the reflecting tube.

Is it a flex tube or a rigid metal tube? Is it straight or bent? How long is it? What diameter is it? Is the "Sky Tunnel" from the UK or the Philippines?

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler