Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zombie2k

Need help with bathroom remodeling

zombie2k
9 years ago

Hello, I recently purchased a house and I am looking to remodel the master bathroom, specifically the shower area.

Current shower stall is too small and I have a jacuzzi tub right next to it which will not get used so I would like to remove the tub and just extend the stand in shower, maybe add some tiles.

I believe I will have to move plumbing due to the tub and the support beam for shower stall could be structural.

Please have a look at the attached pictures and let me know if taking out the tub and extending the stand in shower would be a good decision. If yes, any idea on how much the remodeling would cost? (material and labor).

House is a mid-90's construction.

More pictures attached in link below.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Shower album

This post was edited by zombie2k on Tue, Jan 20, 15 at 0:40

Comments (8)

• shipshape
    9 years ago

Just guessing here, but it's unlikely such a short wall is structural (load bearing). You might want to place a similar wall at the end of the vanity to separate it from the expanded shower area.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

Yes, your proposed plan is doable. You need to make sure and waterproof the window, since it'll be exposed to water spray in a shower.

You mention "adding some tiles" but to make everything watertight, you'll really want to tear out what's there and start from scratch. You'll need a new shower base (either tiled or prefab pan), then the walls should be waterproofed with a paint-on membrane or kerdi, which needs to be monolithic behind the tile. Then you'd tile over the whole thing.

Price depends on the materials you select and the labor cost in your area. It would be best to get a couple contractors out to give you ballpark estimates.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

" ... then the walls should be waterproofed with a paint-on membrane or kerdi, which needs to be monolithic behind the tile ... "

Preparation methods vary depending on the area. In So. Cal., for instance, mortar bed and hop mop waterproofing is common and often preferred.

• zombie2k
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the follow-up . Does it make sense to get rid of the tub and extend the shower stall? In terms of adding value to my house is a modern stand in shower worth more then a jacuzzi tub?

I'm in the Atlanta area for labor costs. Do you think this project would be doable under 10k?

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

With you doing the labor, sure, you can do it under 10. With some smart shopping. Paying labor, it would depend on the level of finishes and would probably not make that 10K any too easily.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

You should not be considering this as an "add value" project. This is a project you'd do if it is better for YOU. Most remodeling jobs (of a perfectly functional space, just not what you like) are not value adds, just "nice to have" or a "bonus" when you go to sell.

• mag77
    9 years ago

I don't see any good options unless you do a complete tear-out and, even then, the window location really limits what can be done. I wouldn't do anything unless I planned to keep the house more than ten years. Unfortunately, from what I can see, everything will have to be replaced in ten years anyway.