Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
loud pops creaks in new addition..

Posted by windowguy (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 25, 09 at 0:08

Not sure which forum to put this in but here goes:

2 1/2 years ago i did an add-a-level to a cape cod. Now consistently there are many loud pops and creaks that occur throughout the addition. Sometimes the pops are as loud as a small fire cracker. it'll be in the walls or ceiling. Some are confined to certain areas but other times it almost sounds/feels like someone threw a rock at my house.

if this helps, i believe the wood was wet when they constructed the addition because the first year following the addition i had extremely bad situation with nail pops in my sheetrock. could the wood have shrunk so much that the house shifts/settles so much that it causes so much noise? i live in NJ where its very cold right now but i hear the pops all year round.

i've had a few settling cracks and 2 doors that needed to be shimmed down but i figured that was normal for new construction. Should i be concerned about constant creaking/popping sounds?

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: loud pops creaks in new addition..

What type of siding is on the addition? If lap siding,(wood), or even cedar shigles over plywood wall sheathing, popping is fairly common due to temp and humidity changes. If it is strictly interior framing doing it, (you are right in stating that as the wet framing dried, caused nail pops in the drywall), could be settling and movement, but i would think that would be over after a years time frame. Im assuming you had the existing foundation checked by an engineer to see if it was capable of handling another level?

o

its vinyl siding. the contractor has done dozens of similar homes in the area, everything was inspected. and its not like there was no 2nd level prior to the remodel. There was a 3/4 dormer on the original cape cod. I just made it full size and added an attic. (i.e. made a colonial out of cape cod). The foundation is in perfect condition (still).

Actualy, the pops are geting louder and more frequent as the years go by. but yes in my utter total paranoia i'm wondering if my house is moving too much.

o

You might have someone(engineer type) look at the foundation---and the ground surrounding it. If the foundation is moving due to soil/drainage problems, that may produce the abnormally loud sounds.

The best sign of foundation movement, however, is cracks in interior drywall.

o

I don't think its a foundation issue. For clarity, all the popping/creaking sound is only on the 2nd floor new stuff and the only signs of sheetrock hairline movement is on the 2nd floor as well. There is no noise or cracking on the original first floor.

So the 2nd floor noise/movement cant be from a foundation issue if the first floor isnt showing any signs right?

o

We have vinyl beadboard for our ceilings on all our porches. When the temp changes dramatically from hot to cold or vice versa, I hear lots of popping noises. Since every porch does this, I have always assumed it was the vinyl contracting and expanding with the changes in the weather.
I wonder if the vinyl siding on you addition is doing the same thing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here