Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iowajewel

recipe: question about flat cookies.....

iowajewel
16 years ago

I baked a bunch of cookies today. I had made the dough a couple of days ago and baked them all today. Two kinds were flatter than usual. And it was the whole batch of the two kinds.

What did I do wrong?

I bought all new baking powder and baking soda.......and all the ingredients were fresh. They just didn't turn out like befoe.

Just wondering if I didn't get them dry enough.....or the jumbo eggs I use are too much(but I always have used jumbo)......or what?

ANy ideas?

Just don't want to make the same mistake next time!

Julie

Comments (7)

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'd almost be willing to bet that it was the baking soda cookies that didn't rise. Baking soda's leavening power lessens quickly and needs to be baked fairly soon after mixing; whereas Baking powder lasts longer and rises with heat.

• lindac
    16 years ago

I agree with westelle Certain cookies just can't be made ahead and baked later.
    Linda C

• rachelellen
    16 years ago

If it wasn't the baking soda, I have another idea. Were the batches that came out thin the last in the oven? In other words, did they sit out long enough to get to room temp?

Most cookie doughs benefit from being chilled before putting them into the oven as it keeps them from spreading out too much before they bake. You know how some people's chocolate chip cookies have that sort of singed edge because the edges are thinner than the middle? That's because the dough "melts" before it actually cooks.

If you think about it, the cookies baked at a mall or in a bakery are usually taken out of the fridge already on trays and popped into the ovens. That's why they tend to be so much more uniform in appearance than some home made can be.

• khandi
    16 years ago

Check this out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Baking 911

• iowajewel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, khandi!!
    love that site and will save it!!!

And thanks for all the other ideas. Just things to keep in mind. I tried to be more efficient by mixing all the doughs one day and baking another......but next time will not do that!

Thanks everyone for your help!!!!
    Have a great holiday!!!!!!!
    Julie

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

Julie: next year look for "Icebox Cookies" or "refrigerator cookies" recipes. A few years ago I needed lots of cookies of many varieties over the whole month of December and so hunted down many recipes that can be made ahead, stored in the refrigerator, sliced-off and baked as needed. The recipes were hard to find then, but there were more this year in the various magazines. If you ever need this kind of recipe in the future I will be glad to C&P my archive of what I thought were the best recipes.

• khandi
    16 years ago

Here are some refrigerator/icebox cookie recipes that I have saved in my files. However, I have not tried any of these. Just thought you might like to see them.

Lemon Icebox Cookies

Cookies

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 cup yellow cornmeal
    1/2 teaspoon cardamom
    1 cup butter, softened
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    2 large egg yolks
    1 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Lemon Icing

1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
    5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    3 to 4 teaspoons water
    1/3 cup shelled pistachios, finely chopped

Make Cookies: Combine flour, cornmeal and cardamom in medium bowl.

Beat butter and granulated sugar in large bowl on medium speed of electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, lemon peel and the 1 tablespoon lemon juice until well blended. With mixer at low speed, beat in dry ingredients just until combined.

Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a 10-inch log. Wrap each log in plastic wrap and freeze until firm, 1 hour.

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Unwrap and cut each log into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Arrange slices 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until firm and golden at edges. Transfer cookies to wire racks and cool completely.

Make Lemon Icing: Whisk confectioners' sugar, the 5 tablespoons lemon juice and 3 teaspoons of the water until smooth and spreadable, adding remaining 1 teaspoon water to thin icing if necessary.

Spread top of each cookie with Lemon Icing, sprinkle with pistachios. Let cookies stand until icing is set, 15 minutes. Makes 6 dozen cookies.

Macadamia Coconut Icebox Cookies

1 1/2 C. butter, softened
    1 1/4 C. sugar
    1 T. vanilla extract
    2 C. all-purpose flour
    1 t. baking soda
    1/4 t. salt
    2 C. oatmeal
    2 C. chopped macadamias
    1 C. sweetened flaked coconut

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Sift together flour, baking soda and salt, and add to butter mixture. Beat until smooth. Add oatmeal, macadamias and coconut, and beat until well blended. Divide dough into 3 portions. Place each portion on a piece of plastic wrap, and form into a log about 10 inches long. Wrap and freeze for at least 2 hours, and up to 2 months.

Preheat oven to 325 F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

Remove frozen dough and let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes. Slice each log crosswise into 24 rounds. Place on prepared baking sheets about 1 inch apart.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Oatmeal Refrigerator Cookies

1/2 cup margarine
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1 egg
    1/2 tablespoon grated lemon rind
    1 1/2 tablespoons molasses
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sifted flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 cups rolled oats

Combine margarine and sugars in mixing bowl. Add egg, lemon rind, molasses and vanilla. Mix well. Sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Add oats. Combine the two mixtures. Dough will be sticky.

Lay out sheet of wax paper and dust with flour. With floured hands, shape dough into a roll about 5 inches by 2 1/2 inches on wax paper. Enclose dough in wax paper, then wrap with plastic wrap and chill or freeze well.

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Slice into thin pieces. The thinner you cut them the better, they should be no thicker than about 1/4 inch. Place on lightly greased cookie sheets, 1 to 2 inches apart.

Bake in preheated oven 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool on cookie sheets 30 seconds to 1 minute before removing.

Makes about 20 to 24 cookies.

Chocolate Crinkles

Yield:36

½ cup unsalted butter
    10 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
    4 egg, room temperature
    1½ cups sugar
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tsp instant espresso powder or coffee extract
    ½ cup all purpose flour
    ½ tsp baking powder
    ¼ tsp salt
    6 oz white chocolate, chopped
    2/3 cup icing sugar

Over a pot filled with 2 inches of simmering water, place a metal or glass bowl and add butter. Stir until melted halfway and add chopped bittersweet chocolate. Stir until just melted and remove from heat. Set aside.

Whip eggs with sugar, vanilla and espresso powder with electric beaters or in a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, until pale and thick, about 5 minutes. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.

Whisk melted chocolate into egg mixture until incorporated. Whisk in flour mixture and stir in white chocolate chunks. Cover batter with plastic and chill for at least 4 hours before baking.

Preheat oven to 325 F.

Spoon cookie dough by tablespoonfuls (or teaspoonfuls for dainty cookies) and roll gently to shape into a ball. Roll cookie in icing sugar and place on a parchment-lined or greased cookie sheet, leaving 2 inches between cookies.

Bake for 18-20 minutes. To test doneness, lift a cookie off the tray and if it comes off cleanly, then cookies are done.

To Assemble

Cool cookies before storing. Cookies will keep up to a week at room temperature in an airtight container. Batter also freezes well.

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure