Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annova914

RECIPE: Orange Pecan Wild Rice

annova914
15 years ago

For those of you who like wild rice, this is a delicious dish. I use good old Swanson's lowfat, low sodium chicken broth and since I love the green grapes with the wild rice, I now increase the amount to about 1-1/2 cups (can't get enough of those grapes :) Ann

Orange Pecan Wild Rice

1 cup wild rice

1-1/4 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade

2 T unsalted butter

Kosher salt

1 cup seedless green grapes, halved

½ cup scallions, sliced in rounds, white and light green parts (2 scallions)

1 cup pecan halves, toasted and coarsely chopped

1 tsp grated orange zest

2 T freshly squeezed orange juice

1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Place the rice, chicken stock, 1-1/4 cups water, 1 T of the butter and 1 tsp salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover the pot and lower the heat to simmer and cook for about 1 hour, until the rice is tender and the grains begin to burst open. Stir the rice occasionally while itÂs cooking, scraping the bottom of the pan to prevent it from sticking. Turn off the heat and allow the rice to steam for about 5 minutes.

Stir the remaining tablespoon of butter into the rice, then add the grapes, scallions, pecans, orange zest, orange juice, 1 tsp salt, and the pepper and toss well. Taste for seasonings and serve hot.

To toast the pecans: spread on a sheet pan and toast in a 350 degree oven for 8 minutes. Let the pecans cool completely before chopping.

Barefoot Contessa: Back to Basics