Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magic_arizona

LOOKING for: French Bread casseroles

magic_arizona
18 years ago

Hi, I am looking for some thing to make Christmas morning that can be prepared ahead and popped in the oven that morning. I have done several egg ones in previous years so I would like to try something different. Any recipes that can share?

Also, a question. I make french toast stuffed with ham and cheese that we love. Do you think I could make that the night before, pour a milk and egg mixture over it and refrigerate it overnight and bake in the morming? And if so how much liquid?

Thanks.

Magic

Comments (5)

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

This one sounds similar but serves 20 so you may need to reduce it:
    BUFFET BREAKFAST CASSEROLE (serves 20)
    1 large loaf day-old French bread, torn into pieces
    6 TBL melted butter
    1/2 lb chopped ham
    3/4 lb shredded Swiss cheese
    1/2 lb shredded Monterey Jack
    16 eggs
    3 cups milk
    3/4 cup dry white wine
    4 green onions, thinly sliced
    1/2 tsp cayenne
    1 1/2 TBL Dijon mustard
    1 1/2 cups sour cream
    3/4 cup Parmesan

Grease two 13x9x2" casserole dishes. Spread bread pieces in each pan & drizzle with butter. Sprinkle with ham, Swiss & Monterey Jack cheeses.
    Mix eggs, milk, wine, green onions, mustard & pepper & beat until foamy. Pour half over each casserole & refrigerate several hours or overnight.
    Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 325°, cover & bake 1 hour.
    Remove from oven, spread with sour cream & sprinkle tops with Parmesan. Bake uncovered for an additional 10 minutes or until lightly browned.~~Tide & Thyme

This one will work with stale French Bread also & can be halved:
    OVERNIGHT FRENCH TOAST (serves 15)
    16 oz cream cheese, cubed
    12 eggs, beaten
    2 cups milk
    1/3 cup maple syrup
    1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
    8 slices white bread, crusts removed, cubed

Combine cream cheese, eggs, milk, maple syrup & cinnamon in a bowl & mix well. Add the bread & mix gently. Spoon into a 9x13
    baking pan. chill, covered for 8-10 hours. Bake, uncovered in a preheated 375° oven for 40 minutes. Sere with additional maple syrup.~~Texas Ties

• woodie
    18 years ago

Magic, you may have seen this one already because its been tossed around on the forum lately, but its very good.

CRÃME BRULEE FRENCH TOAST
    (Courtesy of Arthur Schwartz, WOR Radio)

1 Stick Butter
    1 Cup Brown Sugar
    2 Tablespoons Corn Syrup

8-10 inch round country loaf, or
    1 pound French bread or
    1 Challah

5 eggs
    1 1/2 cups half and half
    1 teaspoon Vanilla
    1 teaspoon Grand Marnier
    1/4 teaspoon salt

1. Melt butter, sugar and corn syrup in saucepan over moderate heat. Pour into 9 X 13 pan.

2. Slice bread into 6 slices and place on top of the sauce in the 9 X 13 pan, press together to fit.

3. Whisk together eggs, half and half, Vanilla, Grand Marnier and salt. Pour over bread.

4. Cover and chill 8 to 24 hours.

5. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 40 minutes, until puffy and brown.

• magic_arizona
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you. I am going to make one each of the Creme Brulee and the Buffett breakfast casserole because I couldn't decide between the two.

Thanks again for your time.

• woodie
    18 years ago

I hope you enjoy them! Happy Holidays, Magic.

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

You're most welcome.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH