Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brownthumbia

LOOKING for: English Muffin recipe for breadmachines

brownthumbia
12 years ago

Does anyone happen to have a recipe for English muffin bread that is made in the bread machine? I have a recipe and the bread is really not bad tasting, but the problem I am having is that it collapses in the center of the loaf and I don't know if it's the recipe or what. My bread machine is new and I checked the trouble shooting section of the book and altered a few things but I don't really see anything more that I can change. I made 2 loaves and they both collapsed. Just wondered if anyone would have a different recipe I could try. thanks in advance of any help you can give me. BT

Comments (7)

• roselin32
    12 years ago

I make English Muffin bread all the time and have never had that problem.........but English muffin bread is just mixed well........not kneaded which is probably what your bread machine is doing to it. I mix it up til all the flour is absorbed, divide it in 2 and put it in the pan, let it rise for 45 minutes and then bake it.
    Why don't you post what you are doing with it??

• brownthumbia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Roselin. thanks for your response. You're saying that you don't use the bread machine, then, right? The bread machine does knead the dough but I used this recipe in my old machine and never had any problems with it and it also kneaded the dough. However, I'm gonna take your advice, and do it by hand. I'm really getting tired of getting these sunken in loaves. Again, thanks for answering me.

• roselin32
    12 years ago

You are welcome and it really is easy to make by hand. I never even thought of using my bread machine because mine too kneads the dough. I make two loaves and always use one for bread crumbs..........it is wonderful for bread crumbs for topping casseroles, in meatloaf, etc.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Roselin32, would you mind posting your recipe for English muffin bread, please. I have tried several recipes and am no overly fond of the results of any of them, so your tried and true would be welcome.

• roselin32
    12 years ago

WalnutCreek...........sorry it has taken so long to respond to your request.......we have been on a river cruise in Europe and had a fabulous time.....the breads there are wonderful but here is the English Muffin Bread recipe I use all the time.

English Muffin Bread
    English Muffin Bread Yield 2 8x4" loaves
    2pk yeast
    6 c flour
    1T sugar
    2 tsp salt
    2c milk
    1/2c water
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    cornmeal for pans
    Combine 3 c flour, yeast, sugar, salt, and soda/
    Heat liquids til warm (a bit warmer than a baby bottle). Add to dry mix and
    beat well. Add remaining flour to make a stiff batter. Spoon into grease pans sprinkled
    with cornmeal. Cover, let rise for 45 minutes and bake at 400� for 25 minutes.
    Remove from pan and let cool on rack covered with towel.

• brownthumbia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Roselin, thanks, I'm going to make some for Christmas breakfast. I'm having a houseful of guests for the weekend so this is going to come in really handy. Cannot wait to get it made. Probably have to make more closer to Christmas.....I'm sure this first one will 'disappear'. LOL

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Thanks, roselin. I, too, have been away. Your river cruise sounds fantastic.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery