Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Pork Tenderloins with Balsamic Raisin Sauce

Posted by becky_ca (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 19, 07 at 22:39

I'm always on the hunt for recipes that are good enough for company plus easy enough for when we entertain, and I think this one is a winner. The sauce is really good - although I'll admit I forgot shallots when I was at the store so subbed some caramelized onions I had on hand instead. Enjoy :-)

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pork Tenderloins with Balsamic Raisin Sauce

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup dry red wine
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 1/4 cups chicken stock
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 pork tenderloins (about 2 1/4 lbs total) -- (2 to 3)
1 small onion -- minced
6 shallots -- minced
2 garlic cloves -- minced
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
Salt & pepper to taste

Put raisins and wine in a small heavy saucepan. Let stand 8 hours. Add brown sugar and 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar to raisin mixture. Boil over high heat until liquid is reduced to 1 tablespoon, about 7 minutes. Add chicken stock and continue to boil until mixture is reduced by half. (sauce can be prepared 2 days ahead and chilled).

Preheat overn to 450. Heat olive oil in heavy, ovenproof skillet over medium high heat. Add tenderloins and cook until brown on bottom, about 3 minutes. Add onions and shallots and continue cooking until pork is brown on all sides and onion is tender, about 9 minutes. Add garlic. Place skillet in oven and cook pork until thermometer inserted into thickest part registers 140, about 6 minutes.

Transfer pork to platter and keep warm. Add raisin mixture to skillet. Boil, scraping up any browned bits in skillet. Add remaining tablespoon vinegar. Remove from heat and whisk in butter. Season with salt & pepper. Keep warm.

Slice pork into 1/2-inch thick slices and spoon sauce over.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Pork Tenderloins with Balsamic Raisin Sauce

This sounds so good - we love pork tenderloins and its one of the few meats that I like a little sweetness with. Thanks Becky.

o

Hi there --

Just wanted to chime in in support of this recipe! Gardenlad posted the same recipe many months ago, and it became a major favorite in our house... Its super delicious, very elegant, and the sauce can be made the day before... I made it for a dinner party, served with roasted greenbeans and brown rice, and it was fabulous!

Becky -- thanks for the reminder that I should make it again soon!

Emily

o

Makes me think......don't you think that carmelized onions are similar to shallots? Does anybody think that shallots have such a 'special' flavor of their own? I know that I don't quite discern their special flavor. I definitely use shallots in a recipe if it calls for them, but I don't go crazy if I don't have some - I just use a 'little' onion and a 'little' garlic (judiciously) in its place. Just wondering...........

o

Emily - thanks for letting me know where the recipe came from! I've added a note to my files - I like to give credit where credit is due, and I even did a quick search online before I posted it to see if I could figure out where it had come from.

Woodie - truth to be told, I forgot to buy shallots when I went to the store, but it was a happy accident since I had some carmelized onions in the fridge anyway. I do think shallots have a kind of distinct flavor and would like to try it next time with them. With the onions I think maybe the sauce was a little sweeter than it would have been with the shallots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here