Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cookingrvc_gw

LOOKING for: Stuffed Beef Tenderloin - Tried and True

cookingrvc
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am planning the menu for New Years Eve and feel like serving a beef tenderloin. I've got a great recipe for pan-cooked tenderloins that get a crust of blue cheese and fresh bread crumbs right before they're passed under the broiler. Too much to do at the last minute, so i am considering using the topping as a stuffing.

That got me to thinking about other fillers I could use for a change of pace.

Anyone have a tried and true stuffed tenderloin recipe?

I plan to slice it thickly into steaks and make a sauce to accompany...any ideas for sauces would be appreciated as well.

Thanks, Sue

Comments (3)

• ruthanna_gw
    16 years ago

I have made this many times and it's a good special occasion dish.

ROASTED SURF ÂNÂ TURF

2 lobster tails
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. seafood seasoning
    1 (3 lb.) whole beef tenderloin
    1 Tbs. melted butter or margarine
    1 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
    6 slices bacon
    1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
    1/4 cup finely chopped green onions (scallions)
    1 clove garlic, finely minced
    1/2 lb. mushrooms, thinly sliced
    1/2 cup butter
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce (optional) or
    1 tsp. chopped fresh or 1/4 tsp. dried tarragon (optional)

Place lobster tails, salt and seafood seasoning in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from water and drain. Let cool until able to be handled. Carefully remove lobster tails from shells, keeping meat in one piece. Cut each piece of lobster meat in half lengthwise and set aside.

Cut a horizontal pocket through the center of meat to within 1/2 inch of opposite side of tenderloin, slicing the entire length of tenderloin. Carefully stuff lobster pieces, end to end, inside tenderloin. Combine the 1 Tbs. melted butter and lemon juice; Drizzle on lobster. Fold over tenderloin to resemble original shape and tie with butcherÂs twine. Set aside.

Cook bacon in a skillet until slightly crisp; drain, reserving drippings. Crumble bacon; set aside.

Put beef in shallow pan and brush entire surface of meat with bacon drippings. Insert meat thermometer in center of roast so the point is right below the lobster, making sure it doesnÂt go all the way through and touch the pan. Bake at 400 degrees for approx. 25 minutes or until thermometer registers 130 degrees (rare).

While roast is cooking, saute shallots, green onions, garlic and mushrooms in 1/2 cup butter. Add wine and Worcestershire sauce or tarragon (but not both). Simmer until roast is ready. To serve, remove twine and sprinkle top of meat with crumbled bacon. Serve sauce with sliced tenderloin.

Note: The roast can be stuffed earlier in the day and refrigerated (uncooked). Add a few minutes more cooking time if made ahead. The sauce can also be made ahead and reheated.

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

BORDELAISE SAUCE
    4 TBL butter
    2 shallots, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 onions, sliced thin
    4 carrots, sliced thin
    2 sprigs parsley
    2 whole cloves
    12 whole black peppercorns
    1 bay leaf
    1/4 cup flour
    Two 10 1/2 oz cans beef bouillon
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/2 cup dry red wine
    2 TBL snipped parsley

Melt the butter in a large skillet. saute the shallots, garlic onions, carrots, parsley sprigs, cloves, peppercorns & bay leaf until onion is golden & tender, 6-8 minutes.
    Reduce the heat to low & add the flour. Stir constantly until the flour is light brown & thickened.
    Add the bouillon & simmer until slightly thickened & smooth, stirring often. Pour through a food mill or large strainer. Mash as much as possible. Add the salt, pepper, wine & snipped parsley. Chill until ready to use. Reheat slowly in a double boiler.~~Superlatives

• obxgina
    16 years ago

This is an awesome recipe. I make it for Christmas and everyone loves it. It's easy and makes a nice presentation. I serve it with Twice Baked Stuffed potatoes, fresh green beans and a salad:

Tuscany Stuffed Tenderloin
    1 onion, diced
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1/2 pound fresh spinach, chopped
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
    3 tablespoons drained and chopped dried tomatoes in oil
    1 (4-pound) beef tenderloin, trimmed
    Garnish: fresh parsley sprigs

Sauté onion in hot oil in a large skillet over medium heat until tender. Add spinach, salt, and pepper, and sauté 1 minute or until spinach wilts. Remove from heat, and stir in cheese and dried tomatoes.
    Cut tenderloin lengthwise down center, cutting to, but not through, bottom. Lay flat, and spoon spinach mixture down center of tenderloin. Fold tenderloin over mixture, and tie with string at 1-inch intervals. (Tenderloin won't completely close.) Chill 2 hours, if desired. Place, cut side up, on a rack in a roasting pan. Cover exposed filling with a strip of aluminum foil.
    Bake at 425° for 50 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion of tenderloin registers 145° (medium-rare). Let stand 10 minutes before slicing; garnish, if desired.

Yield: Makes 10 servings

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz