Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bumblebeezgw

RECIPE: Panera Bread cinnamon loaf

Does anybody have a t & t cinnamon raisin bread that is similar to the type of loaf they have at Panera?

I'm looking for a recipe...not a winging it type of thing. Thanks!

Comments (10)

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Here's the recipe that is in the Panera Bread Cookbook, I haven't made it but as I look at it I just may have too...looks good.

CINNAMON RAISIN WHITE BREAD

Starter
    1 C warm water (95-105F)
    2 tsp fresh yeast
    1 C all-purpose flour

Dough
    3/4 C warm water (95-105F)
    3 Tbsp honey
    4 tsp fresh yeast
    1/4 C + 1 tsp veg. shortening
    4 3/4 C all-purpose flour
    1 Tbsp salt
    Starter
    1 1/4 C golden raisins
    1 C cinnamon chips

To create the Starter: Combine the water and the yeast in a med mixing bowl. Stir to dissolve the yeast fully. Add the flour to the bowl and stir until the ingredients are fully incorporated. Cover with a cloth and ferment the starter at room temperature for 30 min.

For the Dough: Combine the water, honey, and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer. Stir to dissolve the yeast fully. Add the shortening, flour, salt, starter and raisins. Mix the dough on low speed for 3 minutes. Add the cinnamon chips and mix on low speed until the dough is fully developed. Remove the dough from the mixing bowl.

Divide the dough into 2 pieces weighing about 22 oz each. Set aside any remaining dough and freeze for future use. Roll each piece of dough into a smooth ball. Place the dough on the counter or in a proofing basket and cover with a warm, damp cloth to rest at room temp for 30 min.
    Preheat oven to 400F

Form the dough into loaves, cover with a warm, damp cloth and proof for 30 min. at room temp.

Score the loaves with a sharp knife, spray with water and bake for 30-40 min., until the crusts are a deep golden brown and the middle of the loaves is 190-200F

Remove the bread from the oven and place on a cooling rack for 30 min. If the bread was baked in loaf pans, remove the bread from the pans before cooling.

Now...guess I will have to find cinnamon chips....

Nancy

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, Thank you! That sounds good. The cinnamon chips do throw me off though ...one of those fake ingredients I usually avoid but if it's in the book I'll certainly try it.

• taxlady
    15 years ago

I am looking for a recipe that I had originally got off of a local TV station two years ago.It was an egg-bake using Panera's Cinnamon bread, egg, sausage and pecans. I have lost it and can not find it anywhere. Can anyone help?

• beachlily z9a
    15 years ago

Those cinnamon chips only cheapen the end result. That's the reason I make my own cinnamon bread--with Penzy's Vietnam Cinnamon.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I made the Panera bread recipe many times last year with the cinnamon chips...and it was great. The chips melt and make little pockets of cinnamon throughout and tasted wonderful. While I would think they would taste artificial, they didn't at all. I'll make the bread again this year for gift baskets.
    The Vietnamese cinnamon to my taste is good but still just cinnamon. In other words, not special.

• eileenlaunonen
    15 years ago

I never seen cinnamon chips....where would you buysomething like this?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

With the chocolate chips in the grocery store. Sometimes a store will have a special area of Christmas baking supplies. The ones I bought were Hershey's cinnamon chips. I don't see them except at Christmas.
    My post above sounded harsh, sorry, ...I still love regular cinnamon bread made with good cinnamon. Panera's bread at the store is delish and they don't use cinnamon chips but this recipe is good too.

• lindac
    15 years ago

What makes you think the cinnamon chips make it better is the extra sugar in the cinnamon chips.
    I make a bread using a very similar recipe...but without the extra 2 tsps of yeast....and before shaping it for bread pans, I roll the dough out flat as for cinnamon rolls and sprinkle the dough withw hite sugar and cinnamon...yes, I use Penzy's.
    Another who doesn't care for the artificial flavor of those chips.
    Linda C

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

There is more than one brand of cinnamon chips & not all are artificial. Whatever brand I got a couple years ago down here worked beautifully & tasted just as good as the Penzey's cinnamon I have on hand. In fact, the description of "pockets" of cinnamon was perfect.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus