Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: White Cake Frosting

Posted by annova914 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 26, 07 at 21:37

I plan to make a white French vanilla cake using 2 (9") pans and I'm interested in making a frosting that would be slightly different from buttercream. I found this one a while back. If I doubled it would it be enough for 2 layers? Has anyone made a frosting similar to this? I had a slice of cake from Chantal's Bakery in Sterling, VA a few years ago (they called it the White Chocolate Mousse Cake I think) and it was out of this world. I'm trying to recreate that frosting and think maybe I need to include some whipped cream in this?

White Chocolate Frosting

Servings: Frosts 12 cupcakes

Comments:
This is a delicious and very tasty basic white frosting for cupcakes. Use the best quality white chocolate you can find such as Valrhona, Callebaut, Lindt or Scharffen Berger, to name a few.
Ingredients:
4 1/2 ounces white chocolate, finely chopped
1 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick/3 oz./85g) unsalted butter, softened
Pinch of salt

Instructions:
1. Melt the white chocolate in a double boiler. Stir until smooth. Let cool to room temperature.

2. Sift the confectioners' sugar into a medium bowl. Stir in the milk and vanilla. Add the butter and salt and beat until smooth. Stir in the cooled white chocolate. Refrigerate until firm enough to frost the cupcakes, about 30 minutes.

Makes enough to frost 12 cupcakes.

Source: Dianas Recipes website

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: White Cake Frosting

I've never made one..but came across one recently and thought..ooh yumm!
Yes I would double it..for a layer cake plus filling..
White Chocolate Mousse Frosting

o

Thank you! This sounds more like what I remember of that cake from the bakery (they also had big, sweet, fresh strawberries on the cake :). I also remember having a white cake with the frosting similar to the recipe I already had (with confectioner's sugar), and that had white chocolate curls on it and was delicous and beautiful. I'm going to make this whipped cream mousse frosting. Thanks again. Ann

o

Ann, please share your thoughts about how it works, tastes..I love white chocolate stuff..

o

Well, I "sorta" made it today. Granted, I made some changes so this is not a critique on any of the above recipes. I melted 4 oz of Ghiradelli white chocolate in 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream and let it cool. Made a Duncan Hines French vanilla cake. I whipped the remaining 1-1/2 cup cream and since I wasn't using all the white chocolate called for (it's quite expensive when one is experimenting :), I added a little powdered sugar and vanilla sugar to the whipped cream. I folded in the cooled white chocolate/cream mixture and placed it in the refrigerator to "set" for 1 hour. I sliced one cake layer in half horizontally, put the whipped cream (which is delicious!) on the bottom section, placed strawberries halves on the cream, covered them with some cream, then topped with the other half layer and covered it with the remaining whipped cream. It's very good. I think if I'd used all the white chocolate called for in these recipes it would have been way too sweet for us. I let the strawberry halves peak out from the middle and it looked pretty. Next time I'll make a plain white cake or use a box of white cake mix as I think the French vanilla is a bit too sweet. This is pretty enough for company.

o

Sounds delish!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here