Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Guinea Grinders (sandwiches)

Posted by khandi (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 10, 06 at 20:20

This recipe comes from Lori Jo who comes from New Guinea. These sandwiches are very good!

lb Ground Pork or Sausage
lb Ground Beef
Pepperoni
1 Bell Pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped (Leek & green onions)
4 cloves fresh garlic, pressed
1 heaping tbsp whole fennel seed
1 tbsp salt
1 rounded tsp black pepper
1 rounded tsp oregano
1 tbsp Sugar
12 oz tomato paste
Six Kaiser Rolls
6 Slices Mozzarella Cheese

In a deep pan, saute onions & garlic, cook the meat.
Break it up as it cooks, and keep it moving; cook it thoroughly without browning. Drain excess fat.

Add garlic, onion, fennel, bell pepper, and spices.
The most important flavor is the fennel!

Saute lightly until the onions are barely tender.
In the meantime, prepare the kaiser rolls.

Preheat the oven.

Add tomato paste to the ingredients in the pan.
Stir in cup water and then add a little sugar to cut down on acidity.

(Alternately, use milk or wine. The milk will allow you to cut out some of the sugar; the wine will allow you to cut out some of the salt)

Let the ingredients in the pan go on a low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally during the process.

Remove pan from heat, and distribute the filling among the barrel grinders. Place a slice of cheese over each grinder, and arrange them on a cookie sheet.
Bake as above, and serve after allowing to cool for 10 minutes.

Guinea Grinders store well in the refrigerator kept in individual sandwich bags. They last for two days while maintaining full flavor, and they freeze well.

Enjoy these wonderful sandwiches!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Guinea Grinders (sandwiches)

This sounds unique and good! Thanks for the recipe.

o

The term "Guinea Grinder" for a ground meat sandwich on a barrel roll has nothing to do with that island in the Pacific named new Guinea. It is named after a rude and not at all politically correct term for an Italian.
A better term for that sandwich is a "grinder" or a "Hoagie".
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: What's in a name....

o

Lindac, come on lighten up!

o

Ah! Someone was BSing me! LOL She said she was from New Guinea. However, I did an internet search for guinea grinders and there's no mention of New Guinea associated with this dish. Thanks for the clarification Lindac! My apologies for the misrepresentation. She didn't say the sandwich originated from New Guinea, but her location and recipe name would lead one to believe so. However, no matter where this dish originated, it is delicious!

o

Silly me. From the thread title I thought it would be a sandwich made with guinea fowl. Ah, well.....

o

My mother was from Italy. When her family moved to the US, my grandfather opened an Italian grocery store. Everyday my grandmother made fresh sandwiches to sell in the store for the lunch crowd. My dad would say "your grandmother makes the best (Guinea Grinders)". I have made Guinea Grinders using my grandmother's recipe since I got married many years ago.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here