Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mst___

LOOKING for: pecans

mst___
15 years ago

I bought a couple of pkgs of pecans from Costco. Now I'm looking for recipes for pecans, either sugared, or spiced or something along those lines. My son wants to make them for Christmas gifts this year. I'd really appreciate any recipes you'd like to share.
Thanks
Teri

Comments (5)

• CA Kate z9
    15 years ago

I make a huge batch of this every year. What we don't eat over the holidays I save and use on salads and such throughout the year.

Sugared Pecans

1/3 cup Butter
    1/4 cup Sugar
    1/2 tsp. Cinnemon
    1/4 tsp. Ginger
    1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
    1 lb. Pecans, pieces or halves

In small saucepan melt butter; stir in sugar, and spices and mix well. Put pecans in deep roasting pan, pour butter mixture over pecans and stir well to coat. Bake in a pre-heated 250º F oven for 30 - 45 minutes stirring every 10 minutes to re-coat pecans. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan, stirring at 10 minute intervalesfor another 1/2 hour -- to keep them from sticking into a large lump.
    ÂStore in an airtight container.
    ÂThese are better after theyÂve been allowed to age for a few days.
    ÂThis recipe may be doubled, tripled, whatever, as long as you have a pan deep enough to turn the nuts.

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

SPICED PECANS (4 cups)
    1 egg white, slightly beaten
    2 TBL cold water
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 tsp ground cloves
    1/4 tsp ground allspice
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp salt
    4 cups pecan halves

Preheat oven to 250° (low oven.) Coat 2 baking sheets lightly with Pam. Combine the egg white, water, sugar & seasoniongs, mixing well. Set aside 15 minutes. Add the pecans & mix. Spread evenly on the prepared baking sheets. Bake 1 hour. Immediately loosen the pecans from the sheets with a spatula. Store in an airtight container.~~Atlanta Cooknotes

• roselin32
    15 years ago

These are nice too.
    Vanilla Nuts
    1 pound walnut or pecan halves
    1/2c sugar
    2 1/2 T corn oil
    1T vanilla
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp pepper
    1/4 tsp ground coriander
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1/4 tsp allspice
    Blanch the nuts for one minute in boiling water. Drain well. While nuts are still hot, toss with combined sugar, corn oil, and vanilla. Let stand for 10 minutes
    Arrange on a large cookie sheet (with sides) and bake in a preheated 325° for 25-30 minutes turning every 5-10 minutes until nuts are light brown and crispy.
    While nuts are baking, combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl and mix the hot nuts with the combined spices. Spread in a single layer to cool and store in an airtight container.
    From "The Frog Commissary"

• tobygirl
    15 years ago

DEVILED PECANS
    3 tbl butter
    1 pound pecans (or cashews, almonds, hazelnuts)
    dash Worcestershire sauce
    1-1/2 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp paprika
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/8 tsp chili powder
    1/8 tsp cumin

Melt butter in heavy frying pan over low heat. Add nuts. Fry, stirring constantly for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until nuts are golden.

Remove from heat. Add a dash of Worcestershire sauce and stir to blend.

Using a slotted spoon, remove nuts from butter. Drain on paper towels. When well drained, pour into paper bag and sprinkle with spices. Shake well to coat nuts with spices. Cool before storing.

Source: The Gift-Giver's Cookbook

• mst___
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for sharing your recipes. I will save this post and try them all.
    Teri

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County