Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greekshambo

LOOKING for: Cottage Cheese as recipe ingredient

shambo
15 years ago

Somehow, after my husband did some grocery shopping, I've ended up with four containers of cottage cheese. We can't possibly eat that much plain, so I was wondering if any of you had recipes -- vegetable casseroles, quiche fillings, breakfast casseroles, breads, etc. -- that use more than one cup at a time.

I suppose I could always fall back on my family's spanakopita recipe, but I was wondering if you had something slightly different.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (14)

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

A very good, creamy tuna salad and dill bread.

Home on the Range Tuna Salad
    Yields: 4 servings

INGREDIENTS:
    2 eggs
    1 (6 ounce) can tuna, drained
    1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
    1/4 cup chopped celery
    1/4 cup chopped green onions
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh
    parsley
    1 teaspoon lemon pepper
    1/4 teaspoon celery salt
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    1/4 cup mayonnaise
    DIRECTIONS:
    1. Place eggs in a saucepan, and cover completely with cold water. Bring water to a boil. Cover, remove from heat, and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, and cool. Peel, and chop.
    2. In a large bowl, flake tuna. Add cottage cheese, eggs, celery, green onions, parsley, lemon pepper seasoning, celery salt, lemon juice, and mayonnaise; mix well. Chill.

Cottage Cheese-Dill Bread

2 packages dry yeast
    2 teaspoons granulated sugar
    1/2 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
    2 cups small-curd cottage cheese
    2 eggs, beaten
    2 tablespoons granulated sugar
    2 tablespoons dried whole dill weed
    2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    Butter or margarine, melted

Dissolve yeast and 2 teaspoons sugar in warm water; let stand 5 minutes.

Combine cottage cheese and next 6 ingredients in a large mixing bowl; stir well. Gradually stir in enough flour to make a soft dough.

Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface, and knead 8 to 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic (dough will be sticky). Place in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85 degrees F) free from drafts, one hour or until doubled in bulk.

Punch dough down, and divide in half. Shape each portion into a loaf. Place in two well-greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped.

Remove loaves from pans; brush with melted butter. Cool completely on wire racks.

• lindac
    15 years ago

Well drained, it works very well in places that call for ricotta.
    And put into a blender it makes a great base for a low fat dip.
    And there are lots of recipes for cheese cake using cottage cheese.
    I also put a spoonful into a scrambled egg....yummy!
    Linda C

• becky_ca
    15 years ago

This is a family favorite, especially for Christmas morning.

Becky

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chile-Cheese Egg Puff

Recipe By :Mary Seymour
    Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    10 eggs
    1/2 cup flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 pint cottage cheese
    1 pound Monterey jack cheese -- shredded
    1/2 cup butter -- melted
    7 ounces green chiles -- diced

Beat eggs until light and lemon-colored. Add flour, baking powder, salt, cheeses and butter, blending smoothly. Stir in chiles. Pour into well-buttered 9 x 13 baking dish. Bake at 350F for 35 minutes or until top is brown and center appears firm. Serve hot.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

• coconut_nj
    15 years ago

One of my family comfort foods is spaghetti with cottage cheese. We had this often on meatless Fridays and also whenever money was tight, which was always. Smiles. You cook your spaghetti then add plenty of butter, butter was cheap. Then while still quite hot stir in cottage cheese. The cheese gets all melty and mixes with the butter and forms a nice sauce while still retaining some curds. Make sure your butter is soft so it doesn't cool down the spaghetti too much. We always did it in the pot and then you can heat it with the butter if needed to make sure it is nice and hot when you add the cottage cheese. You should take out the cottage cheese when you put on the water to boil so it can come to room temp a bit too. It nukes easily to reheat but the cottage cheese tends to really melt/seperate so then you just have to add more cheese. Smiles. A pound of spaghetti takes about 2 to 3 cups of cottage cheese. We usually use cappellini or linguine these days.

It's also been done as a casserole with some spinach thrown in. I'm not a major carnivore but my wife sometimes adds chicken also. Some grated/shaved parmessian or romano is nice on top of the casserole.

• iris_gal
    15 years ago

I use it in place of ricotta in Lasagne as Linda suggested.

Thanks Coconut ~ I'm going to try your suggestion.

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

DILL ROLLS (12 large rolls)
    1 lb small curd cottage cheese
    2 1/2 TBL sugar
    1 TBL finely chopped onion
    2 TBL butter, softened
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp finely chopped fresh dill
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 egg
    1 TBL horseradish
    1 1/2 oz cake yeast or 3/4 oz active dry yeast
    1/2 cup water
    3 1/2 cups bread flour
    2 TBL butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350°. Mix cottage cheese, sugar, onion, butter, salt, dill, soda, egg & horseradish together in a mixer with the paddle attachment or at slow speed with a regular mixer.
    Add remaining ingredients & mix with a dough hook until well mixed or knead by hand for 10 minutes. Add any additional flour as needed to prevent sticking.
    No rising is required. Shape into rolls, place on a greased cookie sheet & bake 30 minutes or until golden brown. Rolls should sound hollow when tapped. Brush w/melted butter when done. Serve immediately.~~Of Tide & Thyme

• shambo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for all your suggestions. Sometimes, you just need another perspective to get inspiration. I'm heading out to the store in a bit and am going to pick up some jumbo shells. I'll use the cottage cheese as a filling instead of ricotta. That's a great idea.

I'm going to make the chili-cheese puff too. My husband is crazy about green chilis, so this will be sure to please him. Since it's just the two of us, I'll halve the recipe.

Ginger, how did you know I would want a roll recipe? I like to have homemade sandwich rolls on hand for lunches. Your recipe sounds wonderful, especially with the horseradish addition. Never even thought of that. But wouldn't horseradish make a dull sliced turkey sandwich zingy?

Teresa, I'm also going to give your bread recipe a try. I love the dill rye bread I get at the grocery store. But homemade is always better. My husband is on a low sodium diet, so it's better if I can make my own breads, rolls, etc. That way I can cut the salt content in half.

Thanks for all your ideas. In this case, my brain just needed a jump start.

• shambo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Coconut, thanks for your idea too. Believe it or not, I've done something similar to what you described with fettuccine noodles. The cottage cheese makes a nice light cheesy sauce.

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

These ALL sound good, especially the tuna salad, for me. I eat a lot of that.

If I ever get a day off I'd like to have a brunch & serve that chile cheese puff recipe.

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Shambo....One of my daughters has used this lasagne recipe from the back of a box for years. It uses cottage cheese and always turns out really well.

Here is the recipe which I cut out some time ago from the box she had. Sorry I don't have time today to type it out for you, but I think you can probably read this scanned copy of the recipe.

If you have any cottage cheese left over, just send it over for my husband. He loves it and it's not easy to find here!

SharonCb

• shambo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sharon, you truly are a mind reader. I went to the store, got distracted by who knows what, and then started working on those stuffed shells. I never got back to my computer, but somehow, without reading your recipe, I ended up with exactly the same filling. The only difference was that I used chopped up fresh spinach and added garlic & basil. I'm using the unsalted cottage cheese that's available at our local Safeway market, so I needed to spark up the flavor a bit more.

Ginger, I think that tuna salad looks good too. I'm saving all these recipes because they all sound so good.

• deannabsd
    15 years ago

As children the first chip dip that we had was made with cottage cheese mixed with ketchup and probably some garlic salt. :(( Since, we didn't know any different we thought it was just wonderful. I have blended it before and used it instead of sour cream for a dip-probably using a package of liptons french onion mix. That was probably the next chip dip that we tasted.!! That was a special treat on Saturday nights when mom and dad went out and we had hotdogs, chips and dip, and pop or homemade malts.

We had homemade pizza long before we had ever had a purchased pizza. We thought they were great with green olives and cut up little hotdogs on them. Oh, the simple things. Deanna

• sharon_fl
    15 years ago

OMG Deanna! I too, as a child looked forward to cottage cheese dip. My sis & I always got to stay up all night for the Telethon & even tho money was sparse in our household-my stepmom would make this dip. Simply used the small curd cottage cheese, added a small amount of mayo, garlic powder, salt & pepper & minced onion. We'd pig out with a bag of chips & this dip & thought we were in 'hog heaven'. Still love it today.

• colleenoz
    15 years ago

I've had the dill roll recipe for years as a loaf recipe and it's yummy!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County