Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ole_dawg

LOOKING for: Major Grey's Chutney or other Mango Chutney

ole_dawg
16 years ago

That is it. I love it with grilled or baked or fryed pork chops. But, it is way to costly.

1eyedJack and the Dawg

Comments (3)

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Check below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Major Grey Style Chutney

• rachelellen
    16 years ago

If you like Mango Chutney, this one isn't a Major Grey type, but is very good:

Mango Chutney (about 2 cups)

1 T oil
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 t grated ginger
    2 cinnamon sticks
    4 cloves
    1/2 t chili powder
    2 lbs. fresh or frozen ripe mango flesh, roughly chopped
    1 1/2 c clear vinegar
    1 c sugar
    salt to taste

Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat and saute the ginger and garlic for about a minute...you want to smell the fragrance, but not brown the garlic.

Add the rest of the ingredients except the salt, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about an hour, or until the mango is cooked and starting to break down into a thick, chunky sauce, almost like preserves.

Now salt to taste, remove the cinnamon sticks and cloves and pour into hot sterilized jars. Seal the jars and allow them to cool completely, then store in the refrigerator.

Sometimes, since I like a pretty hot chutney, I'll slice some serrano peppers into very thin rounds (removing most of the seeds, I'm not crazy :D ) and mix them into the chutney just before I take it off the heat.

This chutney is wonderful with just about any kind of grilled meat or fish. It's also terrific as a snack, with Indian pappadams (thin lentil crackers) or some other kind of cracker or chip to dip. For a walk on the wild side, substitute it for jelly in a peanut butter sandwich!

• becky_ca
    16 years ago

I don't know about Major Grey's, but here's an old family recipe from my aunt that is really good. She got it from a native Hawaiian when they lived there about 50 years ago and we've been making it ever since. This makes a huge batch, so you might want to try a smaller one first to see if you like it. I prefer it without the almonds.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sunny's Mango Chutney

Recipe By :Sunny Hadley Riley
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    14 cups sliced mangoes (not too ripe)
    12 cups dark brown sugar
    8 small red peppers (seeded & sliced under
    faucet)
    1/2 pound slivered almonds -- optional
    1 tablespoon ground cloves
    1 tablespoon cinnamon
    1 tablespoon nutmeg
    1 1/2 cups raisins
    1/4 cup mashed garlic
    2/3 cup finely chopped fresh ginger root (peel
    with a spoon)
    3 cups apple cider vinegar
    6 medium chopped onions
    1 tablespoon salt

I blanch Mangos for 2 min. in boiling water before I peel them....
    Heat and bring to slow boil all ingredients for about 2 hr. & 15 min.. and stir frequently..with wooden spoon or it will stick, covered pot....I double this recipe & I have a huge pot that I use for just chutney!
    I prep all ingredients in one day and "can " the next day.. It takes me almost all day to can so start early! I have a very large canning pot, holds 7 jars at one time ,Bring full jars to a boil, covered with one inch water, for 20 min. remove the sterilized jars with large tongs and leave on sink till cool ,then tighten tops If they don't "pop" rims weren't clean, I have a large mouth funnel I use to fill jars, also use large metal ladle, for chutney.. leave half inch.. on top and put lids on..Repeat this till all jars are sterilized. I told you it takes me all day ...I also put all jars and tops in my dishwasher before I can.. I put the jars that don't "Pop" in the refrg. & use them for myself. .. Good Luck,...... love, Diane

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Makes approximately 15 pints.