Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canarybird01

RECIPE: Fettuccine with Bacon & Vegetables

canarybird01
16 years ago

Here's what I made the other day. A bit similar to Marilyn's Spaghetti with Peas & Pancetta.

But I just winged this, putting it together after an exercise session at the gym. I came home so hungry and this was so good that I couldn't stop refilling my plate. I'll definitely make this many times more. My DH loved it too.

4 servings

1/2 lb fettuccine egg noodles (dry weight)

1 medium carrot - grated

2 stalks celery - diced finely

1 medium onion - diced finely

4 fat cloves garlic - sliced thinly

1 cup frozen peas

4 strips bacon - diced

olive oil - about 1/4 cup

parmesan cheese

1 TBSP butter

salt & pepper

1. Put large pot of salted water on to boil for pasta

2. Grate and chop the carrot, celery, onion, garlic. Put into

bowl along with the frozen peas and set aside.

3. In large frying pan, cook the diced bacon until nearly crisp, remove

from pan and drain well on paper towel. Drain bacon fat from

pan, leaving just a little to coat the pan. Add some olive oil

to the pan and heat a few moments.

4. Put chopped/grated veg and peas from bowl into frying pan and

stir fry until golden and softened....about 5- 8 minutes or to your taste.

5. Meanwhile cook fettuccine 12 minutes in the boiling water.

6. Add diced bacon to vegetables in frying pan and drizzle a bit of olive oil over all.

7. Drain pasta, return to pot and add contents of frying pan plus butter to the pasta.

Mix gently, add fresh ground pepper and salt to taste. Grate in some parmesan and stir.

Pile onto heated plates and pass around the grater and block of parmesan.

SharonCb

November 30, 2007

Comments (4)

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

Thanks, Sharon! I will definitely try this one. I am interested in light pasta recipes right now that lean more to the mostly vegetables type.

I tried this the other night for dinner using mini penne pasta and regular broccoli and it was very good. Of course, I cut the amount way down for just one person and it still turned out well. I added just a little of the pasta water near the end of the cooking time so everything remained moist.

Penne with Garlicky Broccolini
    Submitted by: SKILLETZILLA on the AllRecipes web site
    Rated: 5 out of 5 by 19 members Prep Time: 5 Minutes
    Cook Time: 15 Minutes Ready In: 20 Minutes
    Yields: 8 servings

"A simple, delicious dinner using up the glut of wintered-over broccoli from my parents' garden. You may use sausage or veggie sausage instead of bacon, substituting olive oil for the bacon fat."

INGREDIENTS:
    1 (16 ounce) package dry penne pasta
    6 slices bacon
    3/4 pound broccolini, cut into 1 inch pieces
    12 cloves garlic, minced
    salt and pepper to taste
    1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS:

1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the penne pasta, and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain.
    2. Meanwhile, place the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. Turn frequently to cook until browned and crisp. Drain on paper towels.
    3. Add half of the garlic to the bacon grease, and cook over medium-low heat for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the broccolini, and continue to cook and stir for 3 or 4 minutes, or until the broccolini is tender but still bright green. Stir in the remaining garlic, salt and pepper. Add the pasta to the skillet, and stir to coat. Remove from the heat and mix in the Parmesan cheese, and crumble in the bacon. Toss again, and serve!

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Sharon, I'm going to make your recipe at some point this week, it sounds and looks really good to me. Just right for a quick meal or two...or three..... :))

Teresa....your's works for me also... I can almost taste it, in my mind.

Nancy

• canarybird01
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Teresa also from me. We don't see broccolini here but I have actually used chopped broccoli with pasta in a similar way. I do love sauted or stirfried vegetables together with pasta and with added bacon and parmesan I think I could live just from that LOL.
    Add a glass or two of red wine as well of course!

Nancy I have to admit I had three helpings...it was so good I just couldn't stop myself LOL!

SharonCb

• ysop1016
    16 years ago

Sharon,
    I made your recipe last night and it was superb and colorful. I topped it with some parslied buttered shrimp.
    It re-heated nicely for a yummy lunch. Thanks for sharing!