Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda_intennessee

RECIPE: looking for recipes

linda_intennessee
15 years ago

hi all

i am looking for recipes, for things we never thought we could make>>>>>>such as

Marshmallows

Ingredients:

4 envelopes unflavored gelatin

water

3 c. granulated sugar

1 1/4 c. light corn syrup

1/2 tsp salt

1 Tbsp vanilla extract

powdered sugar for slicing

Directions:

-In large saucepan over medium high heat, combine 3/4 c. water, sugar and corn syrup.

-Meanwhile, in bowl of stand mixer place 3/4 c. water and sprinkle gelatin on top, let plump.

-Bringing sugar mixture to boil, place candy thermometer in middle of mixture, making sure not to touch the side or bottom of the pan and let keep a rolling boil until mixture passes 235 degrees, about 3-5 minutes.

-With mixer on low, carefully pour sugar mixture into mixer bowl and slowly raise beater to high speed.

-Beat sugar mixture on high for five minutes and then add vanilla. (If you'd like to add other flavors here like peppermint, color, or cocoa powder for chocolate, add now).

-Continue beating mixture for an additional 5 minutes.

-Meanwhile, oil a 9x13 pan for large marshmallows or two 10x10 pans for small marshmallows.

-When done beating, pour sugar mixture into pan(s), smooth top and tap to release extra air.

-Leave on counter overnight to form.

-Generously sprinkle working surface with powdered sugar, turn out marshmallow mixture, generously sprinkle with powdered sugar, and cut as desired, lightly coating marshmallow shapes with powdered sugar to avoid sticking.

9x13 pan makes about 96 large marshmallows that can be stored in a container for about a week.

the long lost Linda in Tennessee

Comments (4)

• momto4kids
    15 years ago

Hi Linda!

I love homemade marshmallows.

I tried this recipe for Peppermint Patties last year. Everyone loved them! Very easy!! I didn't write down the source (I found it online somewhere)...I feel terrible not being able to credit it...but it IS good!

Peppermint Patties
    24 servings

Total time: 4¾ hours Actual prep time: 45 min prep

14 ounces sweetened condensed milk

1 tablespoon peppermint extract
    6 cups powdered sugar

24-32 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
    4-6 tablespoons shortening

1. Combine the sweetened condensed milk and peppermint extract.
    2. Slowly add the powdered sugar and beat.
    3. Knead on a surface sprinkled with more sugar until dough is stiff.
    4. (The stiffer the better when it come to the dipping part!) Add more sugar while kneading if the dough is sticky.
    5. Roll 1/4 inch thick.
    6. Cut into approximately 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch circles. If they are much bigger than that they fall apart when you dip them.
    7. Let the cut patties dry for at least 2 hours on *each* side. They need to be really dry.
    8. Melt chocolate & shortening it a double boiler; stirring constantly until smooth. Using 1 Tbls of shortening for every 6 oz. of chocolate. Keep chocolate hot for dipping.
    9. Dip patties in melted chocolate. Place them on a long 3-tined fork, put them in the chocolate (it should be no more than 1 1/2 inches deep), flip them over to coat the other side, lift them out again with the fork underneath the patty, shake the fork to shake off the excess chocolate & then place the patty on waxed paper to harden.

• kathleenca
    15 years ago

I ran across a recipe for jellied cranberry sauce a couple of years ago, & had to laugh at myself. It had never occurred to me that it could be made at home. I'm a product of the 50s & 60s when premade was the thing!

Jellied Cranberry Sauce
    Makes about 3 1/2 cups

4 (12-oz) bags cranberries, thawed if frozen
    3 cups sugar
    3 1/3 cups cold water
    2 Tbsp unflavored gelatin (from three 1/4-ounce envelopes)

Special equipment: a 3 1/2-cup non-reactive decorative mold or 10 individual (1/3-cup) decorative molds

Bring cranberries, sugar, and 3 cups water to a boil in a 4- to 5-quart heavy saucepan, stirring until sugar is dissolved, then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until all berries have burst, 10 to 15 minutes.
    Pour into a large fine-mesh sieve set over a 2-quart glass measure or a bowl and let stand until all juices have drained through, about 30 minutes. If necessary, press on solids until there is enough juice to measure 3 cups, then discard solids.
    Stir together gelatin and remaining 1/3 cup water and let stand 1 minute to soften.
    Bring 1 cup drained cranberry liquid to a simmer in a small saucepan, then add gelatin mixture and stir until just dissolved. Add gelatin mixture to remaining cranberry liquid and stir well.
    Pour cranberry sauce into lightly oiled mold and chill, covered with plastic wrap, until firmly set, at least 12 hours.
    To unmold, run tip of a thin knife between edge of mold and cranberry sauce. Tilt mold sideways and tap side of mold against a work surface, turning it, to evenly break seal and loosen cranberry sauce. Keeping mold tilted, invert a plate over mold, then invert cranberry sauce onto plate.
    Cooks' notes:
    ÂCranberry sauce can be chilled in mold up to 2 days.
    ÂCranberry sauce can be unmolded 1 hour ahead and chilled or kept at room temperature.

• bobo101
    14 years ago

I'm looking for a recipe for BBQ chicken I ate at an aunt's house when I was a child. She had a lady to come in to clean for her once a week and she would make supper for them. My aunt has gone home to be with the Lord now and so has the other lady. This was back in the 50's so it was made with ingredients from then. It was baked and almost black (not burned, but black with the BBQ sauce). It was SO tender and had the best taste. Thank you.

• neselba
    14 years ago

Hello I'm looking for recipe of some beverages.
    I find it hard to find.

Can somebody glance this and share their recipes....

Thanks......

Here is a link that might be useful: Online Food Catering

Sponsored
Cellko Construction Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Licensed General Contractor Serving Loudoun County