Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Catering- Just Starting Out

Posted by lachele (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 4, 08 at 18:47

Hi, I have been reading everyone's posts and you all seem to have good advice. I am just starting a little party service. Nothing big and just word of mouth. My work asked me to cater our holiday party and I am just wondering your thoughts on our menu and what portions I should prepare for a buffet of about 25 people. They weren't into "Fancy" sounding food :) But I am so while this is "normal" food I am very open to any fun ideas for future events. Thanks so much for your help! La'Chele

Appetizers:
Sushi- various kinds
Stuffed mushrooms
Bruchetta - two kinds
Spinach Artichoke dip with Pita Chips
Deviled Eggs
Lumpia- Philipino Egg rolls very tasty

Dinner:
Bowtie pasta - 3 sauces
- Alfredo
- Marinara
- Pesto

Salad:
Caesar

Dessert:
Mini Cheesecakes
Individual French Silk Pies
Individual Lemon Meringue Pies

Drinks:
Water Punch with Cranberries
Lemonade

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Catering- Just Starting Out

I think your menu is very heavy on fussy time consuming appetizers and very short on meat.
I would substitute meatballs and perhaps something like chicken wings or smoked salmon for a couple of the appetizers.
And I think a ceasar salad is too creamy to servew ith a fairly plain pasta dish...I would prefer either an italian vinigrette or a choice of 2 or 3 dressings.
Good luck with your venture.
Linda C

o

Thanks! I forgot to mention that I was doing Blackened chicken to go with the pasta. They are pretty set on the caesar but I can offer various dressings on the side. That is a good suggestion. Thanks for your help!
La'Chele

o

Since you are just starting out, I assume you do not have a large staff to do all that work.

I have entertained as many as 100 people at a time and I know it is a lot of work. My sister has a catering business and she uses things such as vegetables and dip for the appetisers. Remember appetizers are suppose to stimulate the appetite, not curb it. Save the heavy stuff like the eggs and meat items for cocktail parties. I would suggest two kinds of meat for dinner, possibly barbecued meatballs and your blackened chicken. For dessert, I would suggest regular size pies, instead of individual ones, cut into wedges and served on individual plates, or a jelly-roll size pan of cheese cake. If you need recipes for my suggestion, send me an email.

Good luck on your venture, and have fun doing it.

Betty

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here