Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

LOOKING for: Grilled chicken with gorgonzola cheese sauce.

I saw a prepared dish in Trader Joe's and decided to try to copy it, based on the description on the label. Has anyone tried this so far?

Grilled chicken with gorgonzola cheese sauce.

Ingredients as listed:

Grilled chicken

Gorgonzola Cheese Sauce

onions

red or green peppers

sliced Portabella mushrooms

I love blue cheese, all kinds, so a sauce made with it would be great.

Comments (3)

• woodie
    13 years ago

This sounds great to me. I have made the following recipe and it is really good! Ina Garten serves it with filet mignon and that is what I did, but of course it should be great with chicken too.

Gorgonzola Sauce

Copyright, 2001, Barefoot Contessa Parties!, All rights reserved

Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 50 minutes
    Yield: 3 cups

4 cups heavy cream
    3 to 4 ounces crumbly Gorgonzola (not creamy or "dolce")
    3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
    3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

Bring the heavy cream to a full boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, then continue to boil rapidly for 45 to 50 minutes, until thickened like a white sauce, stirring occasionally.

Off the heat, add the Gorgonzola, Parmesan, salt, pepper, and parsley. Whisk rapidly until the cheeses melt and serve warm.

If you must reheat, warm the sauce over low heat until melted, then whisk vigorously until the sauce comes together.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great idea, Woodie: serving it with steak. I have ordered a blue cheese crust before in a steakhouse, it makes sense to have it as a sauce, though it had not occurred to me before.

As far as the recipe, I'll answer my own post! I had all the ingredients, so couldn't wait. I have to say, it turned out really well.

I have not actually tasted the Trader Joe's version, but mine was good.

I have a George Foreman Grill, so cooked the chicken strips on that. A real grill would be good, too, or some other cooking process that is similar to grilling.

2 Chicken breasts, cut up into strips
    (marinate for 10 minutes or more, in 1/4 cup lemon juice, dash lemon pepper, 1 T Italian seasoning, 1 T paprika). Drizzle with olive oil right before cooking.

2 onions, sliced
    2 red or green peppers
    1/3 to 1/2 pound sliced Portabella mushrooms
    (the mushrooms are critical to the flavor)
    1/2 lb. Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled or chopped
    4 to 6 cloves garlic, minced (if you're not a real garlic lover, use the smaller quantity)
    1/4 cup of grated parmesan.

Italian parsley, optional, chopped

Cooked pasta

Grill the marinated chicken on the George Foreman grill.

Sauce base:

Melt 2 T butter in a shallow pan. Make a white sauce with 2-3 T of flour stirred into 1 cup milk. Cook until thickened: add black pepper, garlic salt, and minced garlic. Simmer on very low heat, adding more milk as needed to maintain a consistence that can coat the chicken. Add the chopped Gorgonzola cheese, and about 1/4 cup of grated parmesan. Let cheeses melt, keep warm. Gorgonzola may not melt completely, but appear chunky in the sauce.

Saute the onions in olive oil, until lightly caramelized; after them the peppers: remove to a plate. Saute the mushrooms until browned. Put them all back in the pan.

Put the cooked chicken in a large shallow serving bowl, add the onions/peppers/mushrooms. Pour the cheese sauce over, and toss to coat all lightly. Or toss them all together in the larger of the saute pans. Add chopped parsley.

Serve over Pasta.

• lindaracha_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

@Linnea56: I jumped online looking for a recipe to match the Trader Joe's entree as well! It is so awesome! But these suggested recipies seem too rich...too much cream, don't you think? The Trader Joe's recipe is more watery (and I assume not as fattening). Have you found a good recipe yet?

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!