Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

LOOKING for: Home made egg rolls

Years back when I took Chinese cooking classes, I used to make my own egg rolls. I don't like cabbage, so it was a chance to put ingredients in that I really liked. The commercial ones seem to be mostly cheap fillers (like the cabbage), anyway. I would make a big batch and freeze many of them. I liked browned ground lamb for flavor, then spinach, onions, bok choy, and grated carrots.

What I don't recall is what seasoning, if any, goes inside: plus how cooked those ingredients are before making the rolls and frying them.

Anyone make them?

Comments (3)

• angelaid
    13 years ago

Favorite recipe:

Shrimp & Vegetable Egg Rolls

2 Tbls vegetable oil
    8 cups finely shredded green cabbage
    2 cups coarsely grated carrots
    2 & ý Tbls soy sauce
    3 cloves of garlic, finely minced
    1 Tbls ginger, finely minced
    6 green onions (or scallions), cut into very thin slices
    3/4 lb salad shrimp (can substitute chopped, cooked, chicken)
    ý cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
    1/4 cup finely slivered fresh basil
    Salt - to taste, if needed
    12 egg roll wrappers (10 oz)
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    1 & ý cups vegetable oil

1. In a large, heavy pot, heat the 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the cabbage and carrots; cook over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes, until cabbage is wilted and bright green. Stir in soy sauce.
    2. Add the garlic and ginger; cook for 1 minute, stirring. Remove from heat and stir in green onions, shrimp, cilantro, basil and (if desired) salt.
    3. When working with egg roll wrappers, cover them with a damp kitchen towel so they donâÂÂt dry out. Stuff wrappers one at a time: Place one tip facing you like a diamond shape on a flat work surface. Place 1/3 a cup of filling 1 inch from the bottom point and across the wrapper to within 1 inch of each side. Fold bottom tip up over filling and roll away from you halfway up. Brush egg over exposed edges with a pastry brush. Fold in 1 inch side tips and finish rolling TIGHTLY (very important - or egg rolls will absorb more oil and taste âÂÂgreasyâÂÂ). Place on a plate seam-side down. Repeat procedure with the rest of the wrappers. Keep finished egg rolls covered with a damp towel.
    4. Heat 1&1/2 cups of oil in a 10 inch skillet until it begins to bubble a bit on top. (To test for temperature, drop a cube of bread into oil; it should brown within one minute). [I use my deep fryer - @ 370 degrees - drop in 3 or 4 egg rolls - cook 1 minute and turn and cook for another minute, or until golden brown.]
    5. Add 3 or 4 egg rolls at a time to the oil and fry for 2 to 21/2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towel. Serve immediately.
    I like mine with ketchup and hot Chinese mustard. Hubby likes his with sweet & sour sauce. (S&S Recipe follows)
    Makes 12 egg rolls

Sweet & Sour Sauce

ý cup packed brown sugar
    1 tablespoon corn starch
    1 can (13&1/4 oz) pineapple chunks
    1/3 cup vinegar
    1 Tbls soy sauce
    1 small green pepper, coarsely chopped

Mix brown sugar and cornstarch in skillet. Stir in pineapple (with syrup), vinegar and soy sauce. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly; reduce heat. Cover; simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until sauce thickens to your desired thickness. Stir in green pepper. Cover and simmer for about two more minutes.

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Seems to me they are not seasoned but sauces are.

I would add some garlic for the lamb (garlic salt or powder).

Only the lamb would be pre-cooked.

• jackie643
    13 years ago

Mexican Egg Rolls

1 (14 ounce) package egg roll wrappers
    1 pound lean ground beef
    1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
    1 (4 ounce) can diced green chillies, drained
    2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
    4 cups oil for frying, or as needed

1. Crumble ground beef into a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until evenly browned, and drain off grease. Add taco seasoning, and cook according to package directions. Set aside.

2. Heat 1 inch of oil in a large skillet, or preheat a deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

3. Lay out one egg roll wrapper at a time,

place a little more than a tablespoon of the ground beef in the center.

Top with a small spoonful of green chillies,

and a little bit of shredded cheese.

Roll up according to package instructions,

seal edges, wetting with water if necessary.

Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.

4. Fry the rolls in the hot oil until golden brown on all sides, about 5 minutes.

Remove from the oil to drain on paper towels.

Serve hot and fresh

As an appetizer, serve with salsa.

As a main dish, serve on a bed of lettuce with all the taco fixin's

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets