Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sprtphntc7a

RECIPE: Looking: italian cookie recipe

sprtphntc7a
11 years ago

hi all,

my grandmother made these cookies all the time but especially at christmas..but also used the same dough for easter baskets.

we called them ta-da's but i am sure they had another name.

they are a relatively plain cookie. they have orange rind in them . you roll the dough to thin line about 4"'s and then put the two ends together and bake.

if this sound familiar to anyone, please let me know.

i have the recipe, but they came out terrible, so i must be missing something or have the wrong ingredients or wrong measurements.

it call for 14 tsps of baking pwdr, so that might be the problem???

thanks for any help...

e.

Comments (5)

• booberry85
    11 years ago

I imagine that 14 tsps was suppose to be 1/4 teaspoon baking powder. I do quite a bit of baking and have never seen anything close to that much added in an average cookie recipe.

Sorry I have no recipe to help though.

• sprtphntc7a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks boo,

yes, maybe u r right..it might be 1/4 tsp. i was thinking 4.

i know 14 is so wrong. this recipe has been handed down for many generations. i think my mom wrote it down wrong. her mom was the one who made them and she always got it right. so it must have been copied wrong.
    it's so frustrating to have a recipe that you love and not have the right ingredients/measurements.

thanks for your thoughts ...

e.

• sprtphntc7a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

after searching on the internet, i found the name of the cookie: its "taralli"

there are many recipes and ways to make them.

i found an orange taralli recipe that closely resembles what i have.. i am so excited.

i will be making them tomorrow, i will you know how they are...if anyone is interested....

• annainpa
    11 years ago

Yes, PLEASE post! Sounds like something I would love to make.

• sprtphntc7a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

here's the recipe i used:

3 c. flour
    6 eggs
    1 c. sugar
    1 c. melted shortening(crisco)
    rind of 2 oranges, chopped fine
    4 tsp. of baking pwdr

combine flour and baking pwdr
    mix eggs, sugar, shortening and orange rind together - i used hand mixer
    make circle with 1/2 the flour mixture
    put wet ingredients and other 1/2 of flour mixture in middle and knead all together.

dough is sticky, keep your hands floured and i found that i had to add flour to be able to work the dough.
    round or oblong the dough, then cut into about 1 inch strip, then cut the strips into about 1 inch pieces. roll the pieces into balls and then into about 4 1/2 long pieces and then put pieces together to form a circle.
    heat oven to 400 degrees. i used 375 convection.
    cook until tops are browned alittle and bottom is slightly browned.

i halved the recipe and got about 50 cookies. it makes alot. i think next time i will use a little more sugar - maybe about 2 tbsps or so, but they were good.

they are a soft, plain cookie, good with coffe and tea. you can ice them if you wish and decorate for the holiday.

i think you can put all ingredients in stand mixer, but we didnt have that growing up, so it was all done by hand. if use stand mixer, let me know how it worked out.

good luck, i hope you enjoy them!!
    any questions, email me.. ..

e.