Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cathyid

LOOKING for: See's Fudge?

cathyid
18 years ago

I used to have a recipe, that was supposed to be a Copy Cat of See's Fudge. I can not find it and the ones I have tried are far from it too. Does anyone have it or at least one that is very creamy? Thanks.

Comments (7)

• nanabelle
    18 years ago

This is supposed to be the actual recipe from Sees Candy Co.
    This recipe was given to my mother in the 1940's. I am telling you this so you will understand why the ingredients are measured the way they are.

SEES FUDGE

10 marshmallows cut up (or 100 tiny size)
    2 cups sugar
    1 6 oz canned milk
    Put in frying pan over low heat. (I like to use cast iron) Stir constantly. Boil exactly 6 minutes after it starts to boil.

In bowl (before you cook the first mixture) place 1/4 lb butter or margarine, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 cup chopped nuts and 1 pkg. chocolate chips (this had to be 6 oz as that was what was available in the 40's. It is what I use)

Pour first mixture over mixture in bowl. Stir for one minute. Put in pan and cool for 2 hours, then slice.

I used to make this all the time when I made a lot of candies, and it tastes just like Sees. It is very smooth and creamy. Many of the later copycat recipes use the marshmallow cream, but this has a little smoother texture.

• donna_loomis
    18 years ago

The following recipe was given to me about 10 years ago and the person who gave it to me swore that it was See's recipe. Obviously, since it is very different than the first one posted, they can't both be See's. In fact, I seriously doubt that either of them are See's. But this one's close enough for me and DH and I love it. It is a very dark fudge, not all sweetness like the recipe on the marshmallow creme jar.

FUDGE
    In a large bowl place:
    8 oz. jar marshmallow cream
    1/2 lb. butter
    2 Tbsp. Vanilla
    2 cups nuts (your choice)
    36 oz. NestleÂs semi-sweet chocolate chips

Butter a large baking pan (about 10"x14")

In a 3 quart saucepan place:
    4 1/2 cups granulated sugar
    1 can evaporated milk (12 oz.)
    Bring to a boil on medium high heat and continue to boil for 7 minutes.
    Pour this mixture over contents in bowl and stir until smooth. Spread into baking pan and let set for at least 2 hours before cutting.

Makes 5 lbs.

• msazadi
    18 years ago

Twinkedome, I presume canned milk is evap milk? That seems to have been an absolute staple in the 40s, I guess with homes with limited refrigeration.

• cathyid
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks. I think thw second one is thew closest, but I sure don't remember for sure. If I have time I will make a batch of each. I got one similar, if not the same, from RuthieTx. I wonder if the marshmallow cream was actually available then. My DD thinks my Granny's had walnut flavoring instead of vanilla. As many ways as there are cooks it seems. Merry Christmas and thanks again.

• nanabelle
    18 years ago

MsAzadi: The recipe says canned milk, so yes, I have always used evaporated milk. I have been making this recipe for 50 years. I think they commonly refered to it in the 40's as canned milk. And, it was always a staple in the house.

As far authenticity, they did not have marshmallow creme in the 40's that I know of. The marshmallow creme recipe began to show up later. I think there are quite a few of the marsh. creme recipes out there.

• KatieC
    18 years ago

And here's another. Don't have a clue where she got this, but my mom insisted it was See's recipe. It's definitely creamy.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Supposedly See's Fudge

Recipe By : Katie
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Candy

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 c butter (2 cubes)
    2 c chocolate chips (2 cups)
    1/2 c egg substitute*
    1 lb powdered sugar
    1 tbsp vanilla
    1 c chopped nuts -- optional

1. Melt butter and chocolate chips. stir until smooth.
    2. Mix egg substitute* , powdered sugar and vanilla.
    3. Combine both mixtures (and nuts if used) and pour into a buttered 13"x9" pan.
    4. Refrigerate to set.

*Original recipe called for two eggs, but for food safety's sake, use pasteurized egg substitute.

• singer9545
    15 years ago

This really the original SEES fudge recipe that my Mom had since the early 50's..It is the best!!
    Have ready a greased with margarine large cookie sheet with high edges ..or a LARGE cassarole dish will do
    In a large heavy pan put:
    1 can evaporated milk
    4 cups of white granulated sugar
    cook on medium till it begins to boil and let it lightly boil for 8 minutes, no more! Stir constantly to keep from burning.

Put into a LARGE bowl :
    3 6 oz. packages of Nestle semi sweet chocolate chips
    3 cups of cut up walnuts.
    1 7 oz.Jar of Marshmallow Cream
    2 sticks of margarine, cut up
    When the hot sugar, milk is ready, pour it on top of the ch chip ingrediants and stir till melted, BEAT by hand at least for 5 minutes till creamy.
    Pour into the cookies sheet and cool ( refridgerator is best)..cut into bite sized pieces and place in a container. Keep cool if you wish or leave out.
    This is guaranteed to be the original recipe!!!!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville