Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spyro_gw

LOOKING for: Paprika bacon?

spyro
15 years ago

Mu husband brought home a 1# slab piece of paprika bacon from someone at work.

I very slightly remember my mom using this when I was very young, but can't remember for what, or if she just used it as regular bacon.

I googled and came up with nothing but a place to buy it, and a photo of excatly what I have.

Has anyone else ever used this? Do I use it as I would regular bacon, or do I bake it?

Appreciate any help. It looks really delcious.

Comments (12)

• lindac
    15 years ago

Fry or bake it....fix some eggs....enjoy!
    Linda C

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

I thought paprika bacon was already cooked???

• jean_mi_z5
    15 years ago

Looks like it's already cooked.

Jean

Here is a link that might be useful: Forum with recipe.

• lindac
    15 years ago

It's "fully cooked" if you like white flabby bacon....
    I like to fry it crisp.
    Linda C

• spyro
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm going to try it (thin)on bread cold, then fry some. Might as well try it both ways.

Thanks. I had no idea it wasn't like raw bacon.

• roselin32
    15 years ago

We get pepper bacon here and it is just regular bacon that you would cook just like any other bacon. We also have a wonderful Opa's Peppered Ham that I buy and keep in the freezer all the time.......my husband says it is so good all it needs is warming up.

• jsvans
    14 years ago

try the recipe at this site, I did and it is wonderful.

http://caranoscucina.blogspot.com/search?q=paprika+bacon

• jrkuty_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Ahh yes, Paprika Bacon. My Grandparents came here on the boat and brought their recipe with them. It is one of my favorite foods. It can be eaten right out of the package, as it is fuly cooked, even though it looks raw. It can also be fried crispt, which is also great. Here, try this recipe...........One or two pound slab bacon, boil it with 3 to 4 cloves of garlic, after boiling it for about 25 to 30 minutes, let it rest, then stab it with a fork, with the rind left on. Then sprinkle your Hungarian Paprika liberally all oveer both sides. Slice, and place slices in white butcher paper, if you have any. Put in fridge for 2 to 3 days. OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• paprikash
    13 years ago

Thank you, John, for posting the how to make paprika bacon. As a child, I remember my mother buying this from our Hungarian butcher. We never fried it. We would just slice pieces of it real thin, dunk them it a little salt, pepper and additional paprika mixture we would have on our individual plates, and enjoy it with a wonderful rye bread.

• spender
    12 years ago

I remember my grandmother and mother always making this at Easter. They always boiled it for about a half hour to 45 minutes. BEing I didn't want to go through all of that this year, I bought a piece from a local Polish Deli. It didn't seem to have the amount of paprika that I desired. So with that I boiled it for 20 minutes, just enough to get it warm and moist enough to hold the paprika on. It was the most delicious piece of paprika bacon that I have ever tasted! Fried the leftovers with eggs for breakfast.

• Scott Pender
    9 years ago

I make it every year around Easter and is a very simple and easy recipe.

Paprika Bacon

Ingredients:

1 lb. slab of fresh pork
    belly,(bacon) with skin on (not sliced)

6 cloves of fresh garlic,
    peeled

2 bay leaves

1 tsp whole black
    peppercorns

3 Tbsp. salt

3 Tbsp. Hungarian Paprika,
    or more to taste

Water for boiling

Directions:

Using the tip of a thin-bladed
    knife, deeply pierce the fat side (not the skin side) of the pork belly in 10
    or 12 places, making sure not to go all the way through the skin on the other
    side.

Poke the whole cloves of
    garlic (or halved cloves, if they’re especially large) into the slits.

Place the pork belly, bay
    leaves, peppercorns, salt and 2 – 3 sliced garlic cloves in a large, heavy pot
    filled with cold water. Over medium heat, bring to a low simmer. Reduce the
    heat to just barely simmering, cover and cook about 3 hours, or until the skin
    is very soft and tender.

Remove from the heat and
    take the pork out of the pot and drain, reserving the broth for other uses.
    Using paper towels, pat the pork completely dry and place on a large piece of
    wax paper, skin side down. Sprinkle the top of the pork belly very generously
    with the paprika. Wrap tightly with the wax paper and a layer of aluminum foil
    and refrigerate overnight or until thoroughly chilled.