Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Braised chicken, bone-in

Posted by linnea56 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 28, 09 at 16:38

I have several packages of chicken parts, all dark meat with bones and skin. I would like to braise this (in my new braising pan) but dont know what else to do with it beyond that.

When my brother in law was staying with us, he was great at using these cuts: said the chicken had more flavor when it was cooked on the bone. But now hes gone home and we have way too much of this in the freezer. I tried using some but it just tasted like chicken soup when it was done. Im not sure what he did that made it taste so good.

I dont want to eat the skin so would take it off either before or after cooking.

Something with balsamic vinegar and/or interesting spices would be a plus. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Braised chicken, bone-in

I'd agree that chicken has more flavor on the bone. This recipe for oven-braised chicken is a simple one but it has a lot of flavor. I used bone-in breasts for the batch in the photo.

SHERRIED CHICKEN serves 4 or more

2 frying chickens (2 1/2 pounds each), halved
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 large onion, finely minced
1/2 cup dry sherry
1/4 cup honey

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the butter on the chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Arrange the chicken in one layer in a roasting pan. Add the onion, cover, and bake for 45 minutes to an hour.

Combine the sherry and honey in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Pour the sauce over the chicken and bake for 15 minutes more, uncovered, or until the chicken is tender. Serve with pan juices.

Photobucket

o
RE: LOOKING for: Braised chicken, bone-in

You can just substitute whatever chicken parts you favor for this:

CHICKEN PAPRIKASH (serves 6-8)
2 TBL butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 minced garlic clove
1 1/2 TBL paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tomato, peeled & chopped
1 green pepper, seeded & chopped
3/4 cup chicken stock
One 3 lb broiler-fryer cut into pieces
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup half-and-half
1/2 cup sour cream

In a heavy kettle heat the butter, add the onions & garlic & saute until light brown (don't burn the garlic.) Add the paparika, salt, tomato, green pepper & stock. Cover & cook 10 minutes.
Add the chicken, cover & cook until tender, about 40 minutes. Remove the skin from the chicken breast & thighs & return the meat to the kettle. Add water or additional chicken stock, if ncessary to make 1 1/4 cups broth.
Add the flour blended w/the half-and-half & a little of the hot sauce & cook, stirring until thickened.
Ad the sour cream & cook just until heated through. Do not let boil. Serve over noodles or rice.~~Craig Claiborne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here