Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Is this still ok to drink - year old Friendship tea?

Posted by cindytx (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 22, 08 at 16:34

I feel sort of silly for asking, but here goes....cleaning out the pantry before shopping tonight and found a tin of tea that my DH received last year. It's the tea made with tang and instant tea - it's been sealed well in a metal tin,(metal clip closer and a rubber gasket like an old canning jar) and smells good.

Just curious about it's shelf life and wondered if ya'll would drink it afer a year. I hate to waste, but don't want to get sick either.
Your opinions will be most appreciated - thanks,
Cindy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Is this still ok to drink - year old Friendship tea?

I am no expert on this topic, but I would drink it. We keep tea in a tin and we rarely drink it, and some of it is probably 100 years old by now :) Actually, Wikipedia says the shelf life of tea is 2 years.

I don't think Tang goes bad. Kind of like Coffeemate, it will last forever - that is my very humble opinion.

o

Smile...thanks Woodie! My husband loves this tea and I'm sure will test it out, then, this week. It's cold here in the Dallas area and a warm cup of tea will be very nice. Thanks for the Wikipedia tip - I should have remembered that, as a kid I can remember a jar of instant tea being in our pantry for a long, long time!
Thank you!!

o

Woodie's right. I still have some tea from England over 2 years old & it tastes fine. Just go by the taste.

o

I make this in huge amounts - all of my grown kids request it. Our family thinks it's the true cure for sore throats. One kid even has his college coach pleading for more. Even the grandkids like it, but then it's almost straight sugar! The trick is to find inexpensive orange drink mix. My local IGA guy will order it for me - like I say, I make huge recipes of it throughout the year!

o

How do you make it? Is it equal parts Tang and instant tea?

o

I don't know if this is the same as or similar to "Friendship Tea" or not - but here is a good recipe that my girlfriend makes.

MRS. SHIELDS RUSSIAN TEA
2 cups Tang
2 cups Sugar
1 package Lemonade Mix (2 quart size (1 cup)
2 teaspoons Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Ground Cloves
1 cup Instant Tea

Stir all together and use 2 teaspoons per cup with hot water.

o

For a large recipe :

Spiced Tea Mix

3 (27 oz.) containers powdered, sweetened orange drink mix
1 (20 oz.) container powdered, sweetened lemon drink mix
1 (3 oz) container instant tea
6 cups sugar
3 teaspoons ground cloves
6 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Stir all together and use 2-3 teaspoons per cup of hot water

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here