Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muncy_gw

RECIPE: Chocolate Pecan Torte with Strawberry Buttercream

muncy
16 years ago

HSandy, ... December 22nd, 2007, My mom-in-law and I were also looking for this recipe and found it after much balley hoo! It comes from the November 1985 Bon Apetit issue. Merry Christmas! CHOCOLATE PECAN TORTE w/ STRAWBERRY BUTTERCREAM (Brownielike layers are filled with a wonderful buttercream and then glazed.) 14-16 servings. *(Strawberry Buttercream and **Chocolate Glaze recipes are below) Also, 7-8 medium strawberries (unhulled), halved lengthwise for topping glazed torte. BATTER INGREDIENTS: 3/4 cup (1 and 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature, 2 cups sugar, 8 eggs, 2 Tbs vanilla, 1/4 tsp salt, 12 oz imported bittersweet or semisweet chocolate (melted), 3 and 1/2 cups pecan halves (very finely ground). Directions: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter four 9 inch round cake pans. Line bottoms with parchment; butter parchment. Using electric mixer, cream 3/4 cup butter until light. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add vanilla and salt. Using rubber spatula, stir in chocolate, then pecans. Divide batter among prepared pans. Bake until tester inserted in center comes out fudgy but not wet, about 22 minutes (top may crack). Cool in pans on racks 5 minutes. Run knife around edge of cakes. Invert onto racks. Discard parchment. Cool layers completely. (Can be prepared up to 2 days ahead. Wrap each layer separately with plastic and refrigerate.) Arrange one cake layer bottom side up on platter. Slide strips of waxed paper under cake (this will keep platter neat during glazing). Spread 2/3 cup Strawberry Buttercream over layer (recipe below). Repeat with remaining layers and buttercream, ending with cake bottom side up. Pat layers to even. Cover and refrigerate torte for at least 6 hours. Cut edges of cake with serrated knife to even if necessary. Pour glaze (recipe below) over cake; smooth over sides and top. Discard waxed paper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead and refrigerated.) Arrange strawberries around top edge of torte, cut side down. Let stand at room temperataure 1 hour before serving. *STRAWBERRY BUTTERCREAM: Makes about 2 and 1/2 cups. Ingredients: 1 and 1/4 cups (2 and 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter (cut into tablespoons and softened slightly), 2 cups powdered sugar (sifted), 4 egg yolks, 1/2 cup pureed fresh strawberies, 3 Tbs strawberry preserves. Directions: Using electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in yolks, then pureed berries and preserves. Cover tightly and refrigerate until set. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead.) Soften buttercream at room temperature until spreadable. **EASY CHOCOLATE GLAZE Makes about 2 cups. Ingredients: 3 oz semisweet chocolate (coarsely chopped), 1/2 cup water, 6 Tbs (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, 3 Tbs safflower oil, 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbs sugar. Directions: Heat chocolate, water, butter and oil in top of double boiler over gently simmering water until chocolate melts. Remove from heat. Add cocoa powder and sugar and stir until sugar disolves and glaze is smooth. Let cool until thickened slightly but still pourable.

I hope your family enjoys this after waiting, what appears to be since 2004, for this recipe. I would love it if you would email me when you receive this recipe. Sincerely, Linda Smith at truelove1027@cox.netere is the recipe:

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County