Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: New Year's Day Good Luck Recipes

Posted by work_in_progress_08 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 29, 10 at 15:26

Looking for any good recipes to serve New Year's Day in order to bring good luck, healthy and prosperity in the coming year.

I seem to remember lentils (not sure of the significance) being served on NY Day, any other recipes or ingredients (and their significance) out there?

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: New Year's Day Good Luck Recipes

In the South, we usually have some kind of pork, blackeyed peas, greens of some sort and maybe cornbread (?) on New Year's Day to insure our luck for the coming year. I think the greens are a symbol of wealth/money. Here is my favorite recipe for cooked greens:

My Sister's Greens

2-3 16 oz. bags of frozen mixed greens, or a bag each of turnip, mustard, and collard greens (or kale or spinach)

Cook greens in water to cover for 25-30 minutes per package directions if using frozen greens. [Cook fresh greens (a big pot of them) that have been chopped in boiling water until done to your liking.]

When the greens are cooked, drain very well in a strainer or colander. Put back in the same pan and turn the heat onto very low. You want to evaporate all the water left on the green so that they are very dry. When this is done, add:

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

Pour each over the hot pot of greens and toss really well for several minutes. This tossing is really important! Use two large spoons to toss. You don't want the greens to be dripping liquid, but to be quite dry with just a hint of the oil, syrup, and vinegar. Taste the greens and add a little salt and a bit more vinegar if you think they need it (I always add a little more vinegar). Serve the greens right away while they are still hot.

When I make a half a package of the mixed greens, I use only 3/4 TB each of the oil, syrup, and vinegar. You add the equal amounts of each, but the size of the amount will depend on the size of the pot of greens you are making.

Happy New Year!
Teresa

o
RE: RECIPE: New Year's Day Good Luck Recipes

From the South as well, and I always prepare this recipe:

Hopping John

1 large onion chopped
2 large garlic cloves
2 16 oz can drained black-eyed peas
2 cups chick broth
1 cup uncooked reg rice
1 tsp salt
2 Tbl butter

Saute onion and garlic in butter until tender.
Add rest of ingredients - cook 20 minutes until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender

And of course serve with pork and turnip greens for New Years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here